These Cherry Muesli muffins with Muesli Streusel are 50% whole wheat, low in added sugar and have pretty much everything tick marked for them when it comes to the health quotient and are oh-so-delicious!
It is time for fresh cherries and what better to make with them then Cherry Muesli Muffins !
Fresh cherries are in the season right now and someone got me a couple of small boxes from Himachal. It took me back to the time when I was living in Delhi and boxes would come from Shimla every summer. We would eat it by the dozen and then mum would make some ice cream out of it. When the boxes landed home, the child and I spent more than an evenings together, watching random shows on TV while eating cherries. We even played with the shapes of the seeds in them and other random games. When the cherries were still left, I wondered what next. To bake something with it was a natural, l I guess.
These Cherry Muesli muffins with Muesli Streusel are 50% whole wheat, low in added sugar and have pretty much everything tick marked for them when it comes to the health quotient. They are so delicious that you just won’t stop at one and that is the only danger with them, eating one too many. The Streusel is also a healthier version of the standard butter and sugar Streusel. In fact, some might argue if it is a Streusel at all, but it works in getting the crunch and yet keeping the muffin fit for breakfast.
I think muffins are perfect on the go breakfast, grab one (or two), a pack of juice and milk along with it and it makes the perfect breakfast. They can also be made ahead and reduce the fuss of the working morning or can be had as one of the items in the weekend brunch, or make it and pack it in kids snack box. I mean how much more versatile can one dish get.
So without further ado, here are the Cherry Muesli muffins with Muesli Streusel, share one or more with me over a cup of coffee and conversation, I’d love that!
Some other Muesli recipes on the blog:
Cherry Muesli Muffins with Muesli Streusel
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cups Nuts Muesli Kellogg's Delight
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- 1 banana large ripe
- 1 cup yoghurt hung
- 2 eggs large
- 1 cup cherries , pitted and roughly chopped
For the Streusel topping
- 1/2 cup Nuts Muesli Kellogg's Delight
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pre heat the oven to 190C and line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper liners.
- Mix together both the flours, muesli, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda & cinnamon powder till properly mixed. Keep aside.
- In a mixing jar, whisk together eggs, butter, yoghurt, vanilla and mashed banana till blended.
- Using a spatula, mix together the dry and wet ingredients till just mixed. Do not over mix the batter as it might lead to hard muffins.
- Fold in the cherries and pour the batter in the prepared muffin tray.
- Mix together the muesli, cinnamon and honey for the Streusel and pour on top of the muffin. Bake in the pre heated oven for 18-20 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean.