The brilliant combination of moist and crunchy, these Apple, Carrot Walnut Muffins are any mother’s delight – Fruits, Veggies and Nuts – all mixed into one finger-lickingly delicious recipe – you’re sure to be asked to make these all the time!
Phew – that name itself was a mouthful, right? When I first saw this recipe on Meeta’s amazing blog, I felt that the recipe has too much going on with it, too many flavours that might clash with each other, but then, I sat and looked hard at the recipe, the recipe – Apple, Carrot Walnut Muffins – truly is any mother’s delight – it has vegetables, fruits and nuts – all rolled into one. I decided to give it a try and was very very pleasantly surprised at the results.
The flavours blend with each other so well that it is really hard to imagine that there are so many ingredients that went into it.
As everyone knows, I love experimenting with muffin recipes, especially ones like this Black Forest Muffins and these Cherry Muesli Muffins. And my favourite of course, the Ham and Cheese ones – they make my day when the flavour combination works out well.
Being the experimental geek that I am, when it comes to trying out recipes, I did make some modifications to Meeta’s recipe too – the major one being that I used whole wheat flour instead of maida, and yes, I added a tsp of flax seeds powder to it. That itself gave it a kind of a crunch that truly is mind-blowing along with the added health factor, of course.
My number one rule when it comes to any kind of muffins is that they should be moist – there is nothing more frustrating than biting into a muffin and having to swig your coffee or tea just to wash it down. These muffins beat that rule, and how! Perfectly moist, with the added crunch of the walnuts along with the toasted coconut – the flavour combination truly is unbeatable.
O loves these and when I see him gobbling them up, it makes my heart brim with joy, all mothers understand that feeling, right – of absolute delight when you see your child finish what you’ve cooked or baked?
Any Mother's Delight - Apple Carrot And Walnut Muffins
- 280 g whole wheat flour
- 175 g brown sugar
- 50 g Walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 270 g Carrots grated
- 1 apple large grated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup coconut desicated
- 3 eggs large
- 180 ml vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt of
- 1 1/2 cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp flax seed roasted and grounded to a powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180xb0C.
- Toast the walnuts till slightly brown, I roast them in the oven itself when it is getting heated.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together i.e. flour, sugar, baking powder. salt and cinnamon, Add walnuts and coconut to it and mix a little.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs a little, add oil and vanilla essence.
- Fold in the grated carrots and apple.
- Add this mixture to the dry mixture, stirring until the dough is moist.Dont overmix it which I think is the key to make good muffins.
- Pour in greased and lined muffin moulds and bake for about 20 mins.