These whole wheat apple and orange muffins are the perfect bake for a play date, lunchbox, breakfast or just a snack!!
And these whole wheat apple and orange muffins are sure a perfect bake for a dessert option too 🙂
I believe the world to be a muffin pan, and there certainly are a lot of muffins here.
Cute that was isn’t it? And indeed there are a lot of muffins any which ways you take, the literal way or otherwise. I love just throwing various ingredients in a bowl and coming up with different combinations for muffins, to eat them for breakfast or to take them for travel or to eat with your evening tea.
Sometime ago, O announced that he is having friends over for a play date and he wants me to bake some muffins and the friends would be home in 30 mins, yes he is just six yrs in case you are wondering. Sigh! they grow up way too fast. Anyways I looked around in my pantry to see what did I have at home, two apples, one orange and some orange juice. The decision was made it will be Apple and Orange muffins.
The kids came, ate in fact gobbled them all up and I was a happy mom, another reason I love muffins so much. Quick to make but yet so yummy!
Muffins with fruits in them and made from whole wheat flour are actually pretty healthy! If you are worried about the sugar bit, then just substitute with honey! Also, adding fruits means that you can go low on the sugar! And the fat added to the muffins can be substituted with olive oil! I love adding fruits to my baking only because they make the baked food so much more moist! I believe muffins for breakfast is a super great option 🙂
Some muffins which I have made with fruits
Apple, Carrot and Walnut Muffins
Cherry Muesli Muffins with Muesli Streusel
Whole Wheat Apple & Orange Muffins
- 1/2 cup orange juice (used store bought, u can use home made, increase the sugar)
- 1 tbsp orange peel
- 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup sugar granulated (+ 1 tsp cinnamon for topping)
- In a bowl, combine orange juice and orange peel. Set aside.
- In an another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple. Add the orange juice mixture and fold.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Top with the sugar and cinnamon mixture
- Bake at 180C for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Ruth DSouza says
Now I know what to do for my next play date here!
That looks delicious, as everything else you make, Monu.
You remember Theobroma, the hot chocolate place? They have this “orange juice cake’ that they sell by the slice. Next time you’re in town, must attack!
This goes on my long to-try list. I’ve never made anything with orange juice yet.
Would love to try this out. Looks dellicious. Is it possibleto make this eggless.