Pear and Choco Chip Muffins have the goodness of pears and the deliciousness of choco chips and are one amazing lunchbox or afternoon snack option!
I have said before and I will say it again, I love fruits in baked goodies! The other day, when I had a couple of extra pears at home I decided to bake some muffins using them. When it comes to muffins, I can hardly resist the flavor of chocolate in them. So I threw in some choco chips to the batter and voila the result was fabulous. These Pear and Choco Chip Muffins are now a favorite at home.
I love pears but the ones that get squishy are often ignored by everyone at home. And that is when these muffins come to rescue. These are excellent as an afternoon snack for kids or as mid-morning hunger pangs relievers. They make a great lunchbox option too.
Pears are very good for health too. They have anti-inflammatory properties and the ability to fight chronic conditions due to high levels of antioxidants. They are also known to lower cholesterol levels. Pears can lower constipation conditions and help even with kidney stones. They are high in fiber and Vitamin C. And they are so sweet tasting that when you use them for baking, you end up using a lesser amount of sugar. This means that the muffins you are baking are healthy and you can indulge in them without any guilt!
Another way to use pears in baking is to make crumble cakes out of them. While apples are usually associated with crumble cakes, I love using different fruits. I made a pear and blueberry crumble cake for dessert the other day, and I must admit, it was such a hit!
So go ahead and try these super delicious pear choco chip muffins today!
Edited to add – This is an original post from Jan 2011 which I have updated with new pictures and a retested recipe. The 10 yr child independently baked these muffins today and I took pictures to update the post. Do you guys think it is a good idea to hire him as an unpaid intern this summer?
Pear and Choco Chip Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Choco Chips
- 1 large pear cored and chopped (I didnt peel it, you can go ahead and do it if the peel bothers you)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp oil Or melted butter
- Combine both the flours, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon powder and ginger powder together. Add the chopped pears and choco chips to it and mix a little.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk and oil together.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour the mixture in muffin trays and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 15 mins till the skewer comes out clean.
- Serve warm!