Garlic Shrimps and Red Rice Salad with Buttermilk Dressing is the perfect summer meal! With a little inspiration from my favorite Kerala cuisine, this one is delicious and super healthy.
Summer months demand light cold food but we often mistake that food which is not filling. This cold red rice salad with garlic shrimps and a buttermilk dressing is the perfect example of my kind of summer meal. Light on the stomach but full marks on flavor and nutrition.
I am a big fan of Kerala food, the seafood and the beef alike. There is something to be said about the appams and the coconut based curries. The sharp flavors and the mild stews. They totally win my heart and this cold red rice salad has drawn some inspiration from the cuisine of the state I have come to love.
Red rice is of course almost synonymous to Kerala, we all think of that rice when thinking of a Kerala meal. Though I have used a slightly different variety of red rice here, the one from Kerala works equally well. Then there are prawns, coconut, raw mango, and buttermilk. It is not even remotely related to any of the mallu curries but still, every bite somehow takes me back to backwaters of Kerala. And that according to me is always a good thing.
If I can’t physically be there, I will get the food here. If I can’t eat the curries and the appams, I will turn them into salads. You get the picture don’t you?
And with this, we have only 8 salads left in the 26 salad series. Honestly, I cannot believe I have been able to reach here without a break kinds but I am indeed enjoying this. Are you enjoying the salads? Do share with me what do you feel about the series?
Garlic Shrimps and Red Rice Salad
- 1/2 cup red rice
- 200 gm medium prawns tail on
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic pods sliced
- 1/2 medium raw mango
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup spinach baby leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup rocket
- 1 small cucumber peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup coconut sliced and toasted
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup buttermilk thin
- 1 tsp ginger minced and juiced
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dry curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a pan, heat butter and garlic to it. Sautee for 2 minutes and add cleaned prawns to the same. Add salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 1-2 hours. This is optional but helps with the boiling of rice. Drain water and boil 1/2 cup of rice in 4 cups of water till done. This will take about 10-12 minutes. Once the rice is boiled, drain water and fluff up the rice using a fork.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a jar/cup till well blended.
- Mix together all the salad ingredients, add dressing and mix gently. Serve immediately.