Vegan, Gluten-free and delicious Quinoa Crusted Tofu Salad with Asian Coleslaw is perfect for that healthy weeknight dinner.
Tofu salad is my favorite way to eat tofu. I am not tofu fan otherwise but I think they make an excellent easy protein addition to salads. This Quinoa Crusted Tofu Salad with Asian Coleslaw is full of flavor and texture, a surprise in every bite.
The quinoa crusted tofu has been a long time family favorite as a starter. And I started using it in a salad to make a complete meal out of it recently. And I think it was one of the best decisions ever. The additions of vegetables make it a very satisfying meal. And it is so easy to make that I don’t mind fixing it for myself even if I am having one of those solo dinner nights.
It also works very well as the salad and starter combo for dinner or lunch party. The tofu looks and tastes fancy enough, even though it is really simple to put together. And oh I love the fact that Asian coleslaw brings a burst of color to the dish.
I also love the dressing and use it in various other salads. Like I have mentioned before, Asian flavors are comfort food for me. Soya, Peanut butter, toasted sesame oil, birds eye chili and ginger. Really what’s not to love here! I have used fish sauce here but if you are vegetarian, a good quality soya sauce works very well. (Use soya for the vegan version).
A friendly tip – when you make this dressing, make a large bottle and store it in the fridge. I keep pouring it on all my salads till it lasts and it makes me very happy. None of us at home seem to be able to get enough of it.
Quinoa Crusted Tofu Salad with Asian Coleslaw
- 200 gm firm tofu
- 1/4 cup Quinoa
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- salt to tasted
For the coleslaw
- 1/2 cup red cabbage julienned
- 1/2 cup cabbage julienned
- 1 medium carrot julienned
- 1/2 cup colored bell peppers julienned
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup peanuts lightly toasted
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 bird eye chillies deseed and sliced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tsp soya sauce (or fish sauce if not making veg/vegan version)
- Salt to taste
- For the quinoa crusted tofu, mix the quinoa with dry spices. Coat the sliced tofu with spiced quinoa and shallow fry in a pan till lightly browned on both sides. Set aside to cool
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together till well blended
- In a large bowl, mix together all the coleslaw ingredients. Add dressing and mix so that the vegetables are well coated.
- Serve with quinoa crusted tofu