This instant mango pickle recipe is quick and easy to make – made with raw unripe mangoes, mustard seeds, curry leaves and other spices – the flavour combination will make you want to eat it just like that – I love this mango pickle because it can be made quickly and also can be made in small quantities – Serve it with rice like my hubby loves it or have it like me – with a namak and mirch ka parantha!
There was a time when I used to eat mango in only the raw form, yes yes, you can roll your eyes. I used to hate ripe mangoes. I would eat ripe mangoes like once in the whole season and that too because Mum and Dad would kind of force me to at-least taste the fruit once each season. And then, something changed when I was pregnant – I could live on mangoes, I would dream about them, I could eat them all day long and the fresh lot (a big one, too) of mangoes that had arrived fresh from the village, did no help to control the urge to eat. That is the day I knew that damn, my life was indeed changing ?. I haven’t complained since that time though. Ripe mangoes are back in my loving zone now, but in all this my, love for raw mango has not diminished – that remains truly unparalleled. This Instant Raw Mango pickle is something that has been a constant in our house, for good reason.
I first came across this Raw mango instant pickle or chutney at a friends house, though what she made was a little too sweet for my taste buds. But I liked the basic idea of making a pachadi like that, it could double up as a healthier pickle (which I am addicted to BTW) much lesser salt, much lesser oil. So I started picturing in my mind how I would like it to taste and came up with the rough recipe. The rest just about started evolving when I entered the kitchen. By the way, that how I usually work and that’s how I love it too. The joy of discovering and innovating along the way, experimenting with flavours – that’s what cooking is really all about right?
Similar recipes :
Raw Mango Chutney/Instant Pickle BM6 Post 3
- 1 mango large Raw chopped in small squares
- 2 tsps ginger grated
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- handful curry leaves a
- 1.5 tsps chilli powder (pretty hot it turned out so reduce if u want)
- to taste rock salt
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- Heat oil in a pan, add hing to it followed by ginger. Let them saute for 2 mins. Add curry leaves.
- After 1 minute add the raw mango and fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add the rest of the masalas. Mix well.
- Add a little water to it and let it cook till mango is just about cooked. Dont overcook it, the peel should be slightly crisp.
- In the end add the lemon juice and take off the gas.
- Serve hot or cold. I personally prefer it more the next day when the flavours have totally blended with each other.