A delicious and easy fish curry recipe with drumsticks and raw mango. Spicy, tangy and all kinds of awesome! It is my favourite fish curry to be made in summer. Eat it with some Kerala rice (or plain steamed if you prefer it), an appam or a dosa or even a toast of bread like my son does. Yes, yes, you *are* allowed to roll your eyes!
As you already know by now, everybody in the family, including my son, loooves fish in any form so I always try to find new ways of making it for them. There are a lot of iterations of the traditional fish curry, the way it is cooked differs so much if you compare the North Indian, the Bengali way, of course and the South Indian varieties, you are very likely to get lost figuring out one is the best to try out first. Fear not, this easy fish curry with drumsticks and raw mango is the answer to your prayers. Quick and easy to prep, and delicious when you bite into, the raw mango adding a tangy twist to it – and the chewy drumstick providing it with another level of texture, this fish curry is absolutely brilliant in taste.
Summer is here and I was thinking of something else than the usual recipes with raw mango to make and then this thought struck me, of combining my now favourite fruit and protein together. And voila, this recipe came up!
The first time that I made this fish curry, the plates were licked off clean and demands for the next time started the very next minute. This is a brilliant way of bringing in some fiber into your diet with those delectable drumsticks too.
And without much further ado, here’s the recipe:
Some more fish curry recipes:
I’m A Good Cook – Here’s A Fish Curry To Prove It!
Rui Maacher Jhol – Bengali Style Rohu Fish Curry
Easy Fish Curry Recipe with Drumsticks and Raw Mango
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1/3 cup shallots chopped in two
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tomato ripe
- 1 raw mango sliced (with peel)
- 1/2 cup coconut (fresh)
- 500 gms bhetki fillets (you can use seer or any other fish slices as well)
- 2 Drumsticks chopped into large pieces
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add in the mustard seeds and methi/ fenugreek seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add in the ginger, green chillies and and curry leaves. Sautee briefly for 10 seconds.
- Add in the shallots and fry till they are soft.
- Take a small cup and add in the masala powders to the cup. Turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Add ¼ cup of water and make a paste.
- Add the paste, tomato and the salt to the pan. Sautee for a couple of minutes. Add in the mangoes and a cup of water. Let it come to a boil.
- Grind the coconut with about half a cup of water to a smooth fine paste. Add it to the pan.
- Add in drumsticks and let the curry simmer for 10-12 minutes on medium flame. Add fish pieces and simmer till cooked. About 5 minutes or so. Don’t overcook the fish.
- Serve hot immediately but I like the best after it has sat for a day or atleast a couple of hours
Leave a Reply