Kheema Gobhi for me is the dish that highlights the Winter goodness of Cauliflower and peas. Minced Cauliflower, tender peas make it the perfect accompaniment to roti.
Its winter time and the time we get yummy, fresh and tender cauliflower. The flowers that begged to be picked up and cooked. I have been making a lot of gobhi a lot of ways but one of my all-time favorites is Kheema Gobhi.
Kheema Gobhi is a very traditional Punjabi recipe which is essentially made in winter. Actually, come to think of it, gobhi used to be a winter special only. Unlike now or unlike in the south, cauliflower was only available in Delhi during the winter months.
Come November and the market would be full of small and tender cauliflowers. The size is actually important here since those were the only ones which would be tender enough for mom to buy. Actually, in all my growing up years, I saw only small and medium-sized cauliflowers. And only after I moved to Bangalore is when I saw the huge ones that we now normally get everywhere.
Anyways, I digress as usual. So here is the recipe of Kheema Gobhi. I first posted it on the blog on Feb 5th 2010 and then saw the picture last week and had a mini heart attack. It was such a yucky picture. So this year along with posting new recipes, I will also be updating old posts with new pictures and re-tested recipes to give them a fresh lease of life. Sounds like a good idea, doesn’t it?
Before I go, some more interesting winter recipes for you to try.
Stuffed Peas Paranatha
PS: This is a post from Feb 2010 which has been edited with new pictures and re-tested recipe.
- one medium cauliflower
- 2 onion grated
- 3 large tomatoes pureed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 - 3 cloves
- 4 - 5 black pepper corns
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup fresh peas
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 green chillies sliced
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- Salt to taste
- Grate gobhi with the use of a large grater or cut it very finely.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai and add cumin and roast till they turn golden brown in color.
- Add all the whole spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add onions and sautee until golden brown.
- Add tomato puree and further sautee till 4-5 minutes or tomatoes are cooked.
- Add turmeric, dhaniya powder, salt and chilli powder.
- Add the gobhi, sprinkle a little water and cook for about 10 mins till the gobhi is done. Add tender fresh peas and cook for another 2-3 minutes
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with warm roti