Thai Style Spicy Prawn Noodle Soup is the perfect meal in a bowl. Slurpy noodles and flavourful broth, crunchy vegetable and spicy prawns. What’s not to love I ask!
I love a noodle soup and if it is Thai Style Spicy Prawn Noodle Soup it makes a very happy bunny. I could if left to me have a prawn noodle soup every winter or monsoon evening, without getting bored of it.
I just came back from a quick trip to Bangkok. And one of the things I did meal after meal there was eating Thai noodle soup. And since I came back home, I was craving for it every evening. I have said this before on the blog, that I love the flavors in Thai food. It is probably one of my favorite cuisines after Indian. The man at home thinks I like it more than Indian food too, which might just be true if you leave the comfort eating aside.
I am also not a big fan of soups in general, they leave me confused. If I have a full bowl, I have no space for the main course but I am still hungry. I always feel unsettled after a soup. Yes, you are allowed to roll your eyes if you want but what to do.
The only exception is the meal soups, the hearty ones that have a dose of carbs to make me happy as well. The ones after which I don’t need to think about what else do I eat that will make me feel good and not bloated. And this Thai Prawn Noodle Soup fits perfectly in that category.
So here is the recipe for all you to make this. Make it before the winter goes off and relish a big bowl of this.
If you make this, share a picture with me on twitter, instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you have to say about it!
Thai Style Spicy Prawn Noodle Soup
To be ground into a paste
- 5 bird eye chillies fresh
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds roasted
- 2 tsp finely chopped galangal
- 6 stalks lemongrass
- 6 kaffir lime leaves finely chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sesame oil
For the soup
- 200 grams medium prawns
- 100 grams rice noodles
- 3 tbsp spice paste made above
- 1/4 cup broccoli chopped into florets
- 4 baby corn chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts roasted
- coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 cups stock or water
- Grind all the ingredients into a smooth paste. Use a little water if required.
- In a heavy bottom pan, sautee brocolli and baby corn till half done.
- Add stock, prawns and ground paste and simmer till prawns are done. If you are using water instead of stock, simmer with ground paste for 5 minutes before adding prawns or use a stock cube to infuse flavour.
- Add washed noodles and switch off the gas. The rice noodles I buy don't need boiling, they get cooked by soaking in hot water. But please read the instruction on your noodle packet and boil seperately if required.
- I find the soup more flavourful after an hour or so. So I make it ahead and heat it just before serving. Garnish with roasted peanuts and coriander leaves.
Leave a Reply