A burger which is healthy, with some oats and vegetables and hung curd dressing! Now, you have a healthy version of the supposed junk food!
Everyone has a food they often crave for, be it junk or healthy, well let us admit, most often it is junk food that appeals us! For me, that food is BURGER. I just love a good burger. I still remember when I was growing up every time I would see a street vendor selling burgers, I would go weak in the knee and would want to have it. I also remember what a joyful day it was for me when McDs opened in Delhi.
Sadly I avoid all junk food these days (at least try and avoid) and hence the burger consumption has gone down. Sadly the cravings haven’t, so now I make my own burgers at home. The patty is not deep fried and there is no mayo or cheese involved in the whole recipe, which makes me feel less guilty about eating one! I add in little oats and veggies to the patty and take a whole wheat bun, use hung curd instead of mayo and the burger actually turns into healthy food from junk food 😉
Isn’t it amazing how a few changes in the ingredients can make a whole lot of difference in the nutrition level of any dish? Like using whole wheat flour instead of maida for cookies, or using olive oil instead of butter to make brownies. I do believe that we should look for healthier options while cooking our favorite dishes instead of just avoiding them completely. Because then we would just end up craving for them more and indulging in a way which is not healthy!
If ever have a craving for something which you consider is junk, just try and see if you can substitute the unhealthy ingredients with healthy ones, just like I did, to make my favorite burger 🙂
Burger Thats Less Guilty
For the patty
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup potato Boiled and mashed
- 1 cup veggies Mixed - chopped or grate (I used carrot, capsicum and beans)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Ginger chilli paste
- salt and chilli powder to taste.
- handful coriander leaves chopped
- olive oil for shallow frying
For the filling
- 1/2 cup hung curd
- 1/4 cup cabbage grated
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 onion cut in rings
- tomatoes and cucumber
- burger buns whole wheat ones or normal ones
- Hang curd in a muslin cloth for atleast an hour so that the whey drains out. Keep aside till needed.
- For the patty - roast the oats in a heavy bottom pan on medium heat till light brown in color, cool and give it a stir in the mixer to get a coarse powder.
- Mix all the patty ingredients together well and make round (any other shape you desire) and keep aside.
- Heat one tsp of olive oil in a non stick pan and shallow fry the patty one by one on both sides.
- Take the hung curd and add the mustard powder, dried herbs, salt and cabbage to it and mix well.
- Cut the burger bun into two parts and heat slightly on a pan. Add some tomato sauce or chilly sauce whichever you can handle or prefer. Place some onions on it. Put a spoon full of hung curd mixture on it and now keep the patty on top of it. Top it with another onion and/or any other vegetable you wish to.
- Keep the other half of the bun on top and dig in what are you waiting for 😉
Know Mon? Just today mrng, I ws wondering y u hd nt posted on this blog for long 😛
That looks yummmm Mons 🙂
R's Mom says
Wow…all I can say is you are God that you can come up with a HEALTHY burger…my dinner for the weekend is definitely this..thank u thank u thank u…
Sigh… I love a good burger too with lots of Mayo and cheese!! 😀 😀
yummm… Your version looks good and healthy and delicious! 🙂
a delicious combo! 😀
are no time re.. so much to post and so little time my poor blog is getting ignored plus after the marathon I thought u guys will want a break from my recipes 😉
awwwww thank u so much R’s mom but I am just a human being that gives into cravings so tries and creates healthier version of those
hmmmm I love too that way pixie but just cant have it like that anymore I will die of guilt
Yummy and less guilty….too good Monu. 🙂 🙂
I think I’ll do that vegetable thingy today, its so tempting…. 😛 😛
i love it
Looks yummm..and oats is a cool idea…
Am not a burger/pizza person, infact the burger i had at Ice & spice was probably after ages, dont even remember when i had a burger last!! 🙂
R's Mom says
Hi Mon, just wanted to let you know that I tried the burger on saturday night and it was a big hit..I didnt make the hung curd sauce because I felt too lazy but the pattice and the sauce and the bun..amazing combi..thank u thank u thank u..and oh this is a dish which will be pretty common on weekends in my house now.. 🙂
Srivalli Jetti says
Of course I will take it..who will say no for such lovely treat…will be great if you can link back to the event..
Priya Mahadevan says
Hello there, This is a deliciously healthy burger. I see that you’ve the Logo for my event – I don’t recall receiving this entry – I would believe you me, if I’d seen this 🙂 The next cycle for Fast Food Not Fat Food starts March 1st – Please do link this to that event – I will be providing a linky tool to make things easier Thank you dear and once again I LOVE this burger 🙂
The patty looks lovely. I never knew oats could be used for them. A must try for me.