Buckwheat Pancakes with Caramelised Apples is one breakfast or brunch which is a super healthy way to eat the evergreen pancakes!
This buckwheat pancakes with caramelised apples will definitely satisfy your soul for hearty food!
I started the month thinking of doing a post a day, some friends joined me as well and then I couldn’t post for the first two days. Sigh. My laptop crashed, my beloved MAC, it just stopped booting. Dropped it in the service station and now working on a standby windows machine which I took close to two days to get working at all.
And then there are the Chennai floods, some family and friends stuck in places, to be able to track them and see the general despair and calamity around. So heartbreaking. I was trying to focus my energies towards rescue stuff in social media. Trying to organise some stuff going from Bangalore-Delhi. Doing the least I can do sitting so far away. Do spare some thoughts for people in Chennai and help if you can.
Anyways, back here now and hopefully posting will continue. Starting with these buckwheat pancakes, I made in the weekend. The child was sick with fever and the usual viral infections doing rounds and just at the edge of recovering, and he asked for pancakes for breakfast. Didn’t want to make the maida ones and then saw buckwheat flour in the pantry. Inspiration stuck and I made these buckwheat pancakes and served them with caramelized apples and maple syrup. The child and I were both happy at the end of the meal!
Buckwheat flour is known as kuttu ka aata and is usually eaten during Navratri. Buckwheat is not a cereal but is related to rhubarb and is very healthy. It is known to be effective against diabetes, known to be high in protein and fibers! Super healthy way to eat some pancakes made from buckwheat, eh?
Before we go to that recipe, did you check out the other healthy pancake recipes on the blog?
Buckwheat Pancakes with Caramelised Apples
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs large
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- Butter for cooking pancakes (optional)
- For The Caramelized Apples
- 3 Apples cored and sliced with peels
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- Maple Syrup for serving
- For the caramelized apples, heat butter in a pan. When it starts bubbling, add the apples and saute for 2-3 minutes till they start turning soft. Add the brown sugar and cook further for 3-4 minutes. Add cinnamon powder and take off the heat and set aside.
- Sift together buckwheat flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Keep aside in a big bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk and brown sugar till blended.
- Add the egg-buttermilk mixture to the sifted flour and whisk together till smooth.
- Heat a cast iron or heavy bottom pan, add a little butter (if you use a non stick pan, can skip the butter or even melt the butter and add to the batter) and pour a ladle full of pancake batter on top. Do not spread using the ladle, let the batter spread itself instead. Cook on medium heat till bubbles start to come out. Flip and cook for 2 mins till done.
- Repeat for all the batter and serve warm topped with caramelized apples and maple syrup and may be some ice cream or a spoon of whipped cream if in indulgent mood.