Zucchini & Spinach Soup is a comforting and filling soup that is packed with flavour and goodness. Served along with some herbed croutons is a very nourishing meal.
A while ago I promised a soups and stews series on the blog. And after lazing around on the same for ages, this Zucchini & Spinach Soup with Herbed Croutons is the first in the series.
Actually, the inspiration for this meal came from Lucy’s blog when I was searching online for Zucchini recipes. It is one vegetable I struggle to feed the child, it is also a vegetable that I personally love. I do make paranthas from it and sneak in some often but I was still wondering if there is another way to feed it to him.
When I saw the soup, I thought maybe this is it. He loves soups and I was right, he did gobble it up. Lucy’s idea of calling it Incredible Hulk soup help as well.
I have made a few changes to her recipe to make it more suitable for our palates and tastes. Changes which make more sense to stuff available here. It is now a pretty much regular recipe at home. And sometimes when I don’t have zucchini, I make it with lauki, funny isn’t it. But what I am saying is that this is a keeper recipe for sure. So good guys, bookmark this one.
And oh I haven’t told you the best thing yet. It is vegan and Keto friendly (skip the croutons).
Zucchini & Spinach Soup with Herbed Croutons
- 200 gm spinach
- 1 large zucchini green
- 1 small onion
- 1 medium potato
- 1 green chilli
- 250 ml vegetable stock (or water)
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
For Herbed Croutons
- 1 cup bread cubed, I used garlic sourdough
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 2 tbsp coriander chopped
- Toss the cubed bread with olive oil, garlic and dry herbs. Toast in an oven at 200 C for 10 mins or browned. You can also airfry or deep fry them. Add chopped coriander when they are hot. Set aside
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan, add ginger and chopped onions to it. Saute for 2-3 minutes and add peeled and chopped potato and chopped zucchini to the same
- Add spices and saute for 4-5 minutes till the spices have coated vegetables well.
- Add the vegetable stock and coconut milk and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the potato is cooked.
- Add roughly chopped spinach and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Cool slightly and puree in a blender until completely smooth. I don't filter this soup since my blender works pretty well but if you think it has chunks, you can filter it.
- Serve hot with herbed Croutons