Red Curry Fish Tacos with wheat and Jowar Taco Shells are the best things to happen to our Taco game at home. Easy to assemble, they also make a great DIY party dinner.
I love making tacos at home, it is a fun DIY meal for both family dinners and parties. And there is so much scope to pack in nutrition for picky kids or moody adults. And these Red Curry Fish Tacos with wheat & Jowar soft Taco Shells are our favourite.
I have used a soft shell for this and to make it a bit more healthy, there is a mix of jowar and whole wheat in it. But if you prefer you could use a normal tortilla or even a normal roti for the shell. The child tells me the red curry sauce is what makes this particular taco a killer one. Yes, he is at that tween age where this lingo is all we hear, at times it irritates me when then some of my friends with teenage kids tell me I should be happy he is talking. Sigh, the tight and funny walk that parenting is.
But I digress, so the sauce is what makes it really special and that sauce is so freaking easy to make. Any red curry paste, store-bought works fine, some coconut milk, vinegar and sugar. That is all it takes! I will also tell you a little secret, make a huge batch of the sauce and use it in anything and everything you want. It is indeed that good!
Red Curry Fish Tacos with wheat & Jowar Taco Shells
For the Red curry sauce
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
For the Taco shells
- 1 cup Atta whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Jowar Atta
- Warm Water to knead
For the tacos
- 250 gm mahi mahi cubes
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cucumber sliced
- handful micorgreens/lettuce
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1/2 cup hung curd
- 1 tsp peri-peri sauce
- For the soft shell tacos, knead the atta till it is soft and supple with warm water. Cover and rest for 10 minutes and roll it in 5inch tacos. Cook on both sides till they are lightly brown.
- In a heavy bottom pan, mix all the sauce ingredients and cook for 6-7 minutes till the sauce is thickened. Remove 1/4 cup of sauce and keep aside. Use the rest to marinate the fish.
- Rest the fish for 15 minutes and then sautee on a griddle till the fish is cooked. Set aside.
- Mix hung curd and peri-peri, slice carrots, onions and cucumbers. You can grill the carrotss if you prefer, we like it both raw and grilled.
- To assemble the tacos, spread a little hung curd dip on the taco base. Add onions, carrots, cucumber and fish. If use lettuce add that first. Else fold the taco and top with micogreens and the red curry sauce we set aside.
- Note - if the sauce is thickened add some warmed coconut milk to thin. Serve the tacos skewed with toothpicks. Alternatively, lay out all the prepped ingredients and let everyone assemble their own tacos in a taco party!