I love Mawa Cakes, they are the perfect blend of British and Indian if you ask me. And this Thandai Mawa Cake is just the version you need this Holi.
This Thandai Mawa Cake is perfect Cake for your Holi Party or a great dessert for your Holi lunch table. And it is so easy to make, total win-win.
Holi is always a time for indulgence for me. As a child I absolutely hated Holi, I guess most of us who grew up in the North struggling with being forced to play felt the same. But as I grew up, I started making peace with the festival. Starting to understand how to field those uncles away and enjoy with my group of friends. To be fair it could also be because I discovered Bhang, it is a different matter I can’t do it anymore as it messes with my head.
As I started cooking I also discovered so many foods I could cook for Holi. So many flavours I could play around with to create new dishes. And this Thandai Mawa Cake is a result of combining two of my favourite things. Holi Thandai and Mumbai Mawa Cake, and they blend absolutely beautifully. I am not exaggerating but this might be the BEST version of Mawa Cake I have eaten.
Here are some more Thandai Recipes if you want to indulge this Holi.
Thandai Mawa Cake - Perfect Cake for your Holi Party
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 2 tbsps Cashew nuts
- .5 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsps Melon seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 8-10 black peppercorns
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsps Dried rose petals
For the Mawa Cake
- 1.5 cup flour (180gm)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (white works as well), 170gms
- 90 gm butter (about 6tbsp)
- 100 gm mawa/khoya
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup thandai
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
For the cake Topping
- 1/4 cup almond
- 1/4 cup pistachio
- 2 tbsp rose petals
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease an 8inch round tin and keep aside.
- Add all the Thandai ingredients except milk in a blender and grind. Slowly add milk to make a thick paste. Set aside till needed.
- Sift together baking powder and flour together and set aside.
- Chop almonds, pista and rose petals for the topping and set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together till light and fluffy. Add the crumbled mawa and blend. Add eggs one by one and blend. Add flour and thandai in three parts alternatively mixing as you go along and everything is well blended.
- Spread the nuts and rose topping to top on bake for 35-40 minutes till a toothpick comes out clean.