Pear and blueberry crumble cake is one amazing dessert option which combines the sweetness of the pears and the slight tartness of the blueberries to come together and form a heavenly combination!
I made this pear and blueberry crumble cake for a celebration, and it was such a super hit!
There is so much to write on this blog that I really don’t know where to begin from. So many recipes to be posted, so many food tales to be shared. I don’t know why I have been so laid back and lazy in posting these days. I promise will try to be regular from now on. I know I know I can almost feel many of you staring at me for the next part of Baking Basics specially Chandu, but I promise its coming soon very very very soon 🙂
Today,what I have for you is a yummy cake that I made sometime back. We were doing a surprise birthday party for some friends of mine and the brunch menu was chaat, all heavy and fried stuff followed by a sinful creamy dessert. I had to make a cake and I was so clear I don’t want a creamy and iced cake. Gotta have a balance somewhere, yaar 😉
As usual I tweeted for suggestions, started browsing and narrowed myself to two options making a crumble cake which is partly my own recipe, partly from Maunika of cookinacuury and a lemon ricotta pound cake. I had full plan set on making the lemon ricotta when Murphy played his usual trick on me and I didn’t find ricotta and hence ended up making the second choice – a pear and blueberry were the fruits I chose for the crumble and man, I think the combo was made in heaven and discovered in my kitchen, it was absolutely yummm. Don’t believe look at the picture.
Talking about cakes, have you made this apple raisin cake yet?
Pear and Blueberry Crumble Cake
For the Cake Base
- 3 tbsps milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup butter
For the fruit layer
- 2 pear peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup blueberries dried
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tsps orange zest
- 2 tsps brown sugar
For the crumble topping
- 2 tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsps butter
- 2 cornflakes tbps
- 3 tbsps sugar
- Lets start with preparing the fruit layer, Poach the pear, dried blueberries along with the wine for about 3-4 minutes. It should just start to tenderize. Add sugar and zest and keep aside for cooling.
- Lightly whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the butter and half the egg mixture, and mix until dry ingredients are moistened. On medium speed, beat for one minute. If mixing by hand, mix for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining egg mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds between each addition.
- Pour the mixture in a baking pan (I used a 6 inch round pan)
- For the crumble topping mix all the ingredients together till they just come together.
- Spread the fruit layer on top of the cake batter and the crumble layer on top of it.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 60 minutes or so. I covered the cake with a foil after about 25 minutes to prevent the top from burning.