This olive oil almond lemony cake has the goodness of olive oil, the tangy taste of lemon and the nuttiness of almonds which makes it a perfect dessert or teatime option!
I have been thinking of baking with olive oil for a long long time but wasn’t really sure because of the low temperature its supposed to be used at. I had read so many olive oil baking recipes that I was totally tempted to do it. I am still not sure whether it is safe to bake in olive oil, but one thing I am sure about is the flavor, the nutty flavor it adds to the cake which makes it outstanding. And the smell that wafted through the house while baking this olive oil almond lemony cake is totally priceless.
We made this cake when on Father’s Day, Ojas woke up saying let’s bake a cake for dada though the dada was out offroading with his boys But Ojas said it in such a cute manner that I couldn’t really say no. I adapted this recipe from Sassy Radish.
While the cake is very tasty to eat in itself, since I was baking it for Father’s Day, I wanted to do a little extra. I was in no mood to make an elaborate icing and also, I don’t think this cake would gel with one. That was when I thought of using the glaze that was used in the original recipe, though quite frankly I am not a huge fan of glazes. I find them too sugary and too sticky 🙂 Anyway, I decided to give this one a try, but let me repeat the cake was yummy without it too and healthy, because it has been baked in olive oil with no butter used.
But I decided to go ahead and some sin to the healthy cake, and put some glaze on it as well 🙂
I also made some olive oil and mixed nut brownies which tasted so sinful 🙂 Have you checked the recipe to that yet?
Olive Oil Almond Lemony Cake
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour (just grind almonds with a little sugar if u dont have )
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon rock salt
- 4 eggs large
- 3/4 cup sugar granulated
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract pure
- 1/4 teaspoon almond pure extract
- one lemon zest of
For the glaze
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar confectioner ' s
- 3 tablespoons milk whole
- A few drops lemon juice of fresh
- 1/2 cup almonds sliced , blanched , toasted and cooled
- Sieve together the all purpose flour and wheat flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt to combine them and set aside.
- Beat the egss lightly in a large bowl. Now add the sugar to it and whisk it throughly.
- Add the olive oil and continue whisking till the mixture thickens a bit, say for about 45 seconds or 2 minutes (I did it by hand, not mixer BTW)
- Add in the vanilla and almond extracts, the lemon juice and the zest. Whisk for about 30 seconds.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix till everything is throughly combined and you have a smooth batter. It took me about 3 minutes of mixing to do so.
- Pour the batter in a greased and lined cake pan (a 9-inch round will do though I baked in a bundt) and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 30 mins or till completely done.
- Let it completely cool.
For the Glaze
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small, heavy bottom saucepan. When it stops bubbling, lower the heat and continue heating the butter carefully, swirling the pan occasionally to distribute the heat. Turn off the heat when the butter begins to turn a light tan color and smells slightly nutty.
- Whisk together the confectioner sugar and milk until completely smooth but thick, then slowly add into the cooled butter. Add a few drops of lemon juice to balance the sweetness. Stir in the toasted almonds.
- Pour the glaze over the cake and let it set for some time. Cut a slice and enjoy it!