There is something so charming about a tea cake. No frosting, no frills just good old cake. This Old-fashioned Cherry and almond tea cake is a recipe blast from the past and is so comforting.
If you ask me to pick a choice of cake, I would pick a tea cake over anything else 9 out of 10 times. I love tea cakes and their simplicity.
“Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake.” – Dean Koontz
They remind me of childhood and Enid Blyton stories. Of picnics and pretty plates. Of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, of Famous Five and Secret Seven. I remember when I was growing up, every time there would be a school picnic I would insist that all I want is a cake. Mum, would give so many options but I would go back and say no tea cake. The only cake she used to really make was the Tutty Fruit Cake and she would make it along with some more stuff. Worried that one kind of cake every picnic is not good enough for her daughter.
As I started baking myself later in life, I started experimenting with more and more flavors. The thing with tea cakes is that you can do so much with them. Add a little vegetable or some fruits, some coffee or a good old banana. Rotting and old fruits have no hurry. Make a tea cake.
Lots of dry fruits, time for a tea cake. A bit of wine left from the drinking, use it in the tea cake. You get the idea, don’t you?
Off late I have been baking a lot of healthy tea cakes. No white sugar, no white flour, some millets used etc. But last week, I was craving a good old indulgence. I wanted to bake with maida, sugar, and butter. I wanted to add some dry fruits and cut a large slice for myself. We would think of guilt later I told me, today deserves a wee bit of indulgence. This cherry and almond cake is a result of that. I had some great dried cherries that someone got me from abroad and they had cake written all over themselves.
While I eat yet another large slice with my cup of tea, here is the recipe for you all.
If you bake it, do share a picture with me. Tag #sinamon on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. I would love to hear from you so do share the good things, the brickbats and if you want any clarifications about the recipe.
Old Fashioned Cherry And Almond Tea Cake
- 150 grams butter at room temprature
- 150 grams glaze cherries (I washed and dried them)
- 75 grams ground almonds
- 50 grams almond flakes
- 150 grams castor sugar
- 150 grams flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven at 180C and line a loaf tin with parchment paper. Set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg one by one and beat till incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract, and gently fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- Reserving a few cherries, Fold in the cherries and add the milk. Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Add the rest of the cherries and almond flakes.
- Bake at 160C for 60minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before slicing and serving