The best ever whole wheat banana bread with 100% whole wheat flour, no butter and no processed sugar! Chocolate-y taste and soft and moist!
Isn’t that a lot of B’s in the title? But this whole wheat banana bread kind of deserves the amazing title! Before I start this post, it might be a good time to accept that I HATE BANANA. I don’t eat bananas till I am forced to eat one, there is nothing in the house and I am hungry or the stomach is upset and I just have to eat it.
Not only do I just hate banana, I also hate stuff made with it with the exception of two things – Banoffee pie and banana bread (and they both start with B as well :D) and as luck would have it, Murphy came into play. The child, though, he loves to eat banana, does not eat banana desserts expect this Double Chocolate Banana Bread.
And hold your breath, while I let out a secret that will shock. This is 100% whole wheat, no butter and no processed sugar banana bread and yet it is freaking delicious. I have never had anyone who takes a slice of this, who can stop at one. The banana flavour balanced by the dark chocolate bits is just DIVINE and since it is made of atta, has olive oil and raw coconut sugar, it is pretty healthy dessert and snack option as well.
So without any further delay, here is the recipe for the BEST EVER BANANA BREAD which is also 100% whole wheat has olive oil and raw sugar. Yes this is called hitting a jackpot, truly!
Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 170 grams dark chocolate 1 cup chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 145 grams coconut sugar 3/4 cup, raw
- 2 eggs
- 120 grams whole wheat flour 1 cup
- 60 grams cocoa 1/2 cup, powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3 bananas large overripe
- Pre heat the oven to 180C and grease a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan and keep aside. If you want you can also line it with parchment paper, but if you grease the pan well, the loaf doesn't stick and comes out easily
- Roughly mash bananas in a large bowl, I like a little bit of piece coming here and there, so I use the whisk or potato masher to mash, I do not puree them, however, if you prefer you can puree them as well. Add olive oil on top and whisk till combined.
- To the above add 2 eggs and whisk till everything is incorporated. Keep aside
- Sieve together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Add raw sugar to this and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet (eggs, banana and oil) and using a spatula to mix till fully incorporated.
- Add the chopped dark chocolate and mix well. Pour in the prepared loaf tin and bake at 180C for 50-55 mins or till the skewer comes out clean in the middle.
- Let cool completely before taking it out of the tin and slicing.
- Serve with tea/coffee as a tea time treat or with ice cream as after meal dessert.