This no knead muesli dutch oven bread takes exactly 5 minutes to make the dough and the slow rise imparts this bread with a beautiful flavour, the addition of muesli adds to that crunch and gives a slight sweetness to the otherwise salty bread making it perfect.
The no knead muesli dutch oven bread has become a regular feature in our house.
“All sorrows are less with bread. ”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Bread is my first love when it comes to breakfast. As far as I am concerned there can’t be a better breakfast than bread.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods;
and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”
I also love and adore baking my own bread (read here and here and here for tips on bread baking at home). A few months ago, I bought a Prestige Dutch Oven while they were closing the product at a throw away price. I do own a Le Creuset but given the fact that it is so expensive, I am always using it with care, thinking before using it. Yes! I am slightly strange that way. But after the Prestige, I have been baking bread in it so often and variations of this no knead muesli dutch oven bread is currently the most loved at home.
It is no knead, means it takes exactly 5 minutes to make the dough and then let it rise slowly over 18 hours or so. I typically mix it in the evening and then put it in the oven first thing in the morning and within an hour, you have a perfectly baked bread for breakfast and as an added bonus the house smells divine.
The slow rise imparts this bread with a beautiful flavour, the addition of muesli adds to that crunch and gives a slight sweetness to the otherwise salty bread making it perfect. I have eaten this bread with jam and sweet preserves and with eggs, used it in sandwiches, it lends itself beautifully to everything. And every time, I have put this bread on the table, it is has been met with oohs and aahs. Did I tell you that apart from breakfast it works for dinners with soups and pastas and at parties with dips and olive oil as well?
No Knead Muesli Dutch Oven Bread
- 2 cups all purpose flour / maida
- 1 cup whole wheat flour / atta
- 1 cup Nut Muesli Kellogg's Fruit and
- 1.5 tsps salt
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1.5 tsps yeast active
- 1.5 cups water warm
- Mix together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, sugar and yeast. To this add the 1.5 cups of warm water. Stir well till incorporated using a wooden spoon or a spatula. Cover with a cling film and set aside for rising at a warm place undisturbed from 12-18 hours. It should be more than double in size. I typically leave it on the counter on a warm day and inside by oven with light on cold days.
- After the first raise is done, pat it down to release all the air and add one cup muesli to it and knead for 2-3 minutes till the muesli is well mixed with the bread. Use well dusted hands to handle the dough, as the dough is pretty wet.
- Shape the dough into a round shape and keep on a dusted parchment paper for 30 minutes. In the meanwhile, preheat a oven and the dutch oven (you can also use a standard cast iron pan with a cover) at 180C for 30 minutes.
- At the end of 30 minutes, take out the dutch oven (be careful it will be hot) and place the shaped bread along with the parchment paper in the dutch oven. Close with a lid and bake for 45 minutes. Now remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let it cool before slicing, serve warm with eggs, coffee and jam for the perfect Saturday leisurely breakfast!