This Instant Raw Banana Dosa is the perfect breakfast solution for weekdays. It is healthy, delicious and so easy to make.
This Instant Raw Banana Dosa or balekai dosa is very popular in Karnataka and especially in homes of North Karnataka. I learnt it from my son’s Nanny and it is a favorite since then.
Raw green bananas or plantain are a staple in the tropical regions and generally fried like potatoes. These are very high in potassium, vitamin A & C and dietary fibre. Along with that these are high in carbohydrates as well and so like anything else moderation is always the key.
Raw bananas are not very new to us as we have always consumed them in the form of sabzis or avial. When cooked properly they resemble the taste and texture of a potato. This balekai dosa is very popular in Karnataka and especially in homes. It is very easy to make and doesn’t require overnight fermentation as well.
Flavour it with chillies of your choice, roasted cumin seeds or curry leaves or even ginger. Pair it with your favourite sambar or chutney and a glass of hot filter coffee for a perfect head start in the morning
Instant Raw Banana Dosa: Delicious Weekday Breakfast
- 1 cup Raw banana peeled and roughly chopped
- 1.5 cups raw rice
- 1 cup coconut fresh, grated
- 3-4 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds roasted
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- oil for cooking I use sesame oil/ghee for dosas but feel free to use any oil
- Use the rice you would normally use to make a dosa batter. I use salem rice for my dosa and idlies. Soak the rice for at least 3 hrs.
- Chop the raw bananas and soak in water with a drop or two of lime juice. Soak the dry red chillies in water as well
- Grind the rice first then add the rest of the ingredients and grind to a smooth paste. Make sure to add water to adjust the consistency. Do not make it very thin or very thick. Should resemble a normal dosa batter.
- Transfer to a dish. Add salt and mix well. This batter does not need fermentation and can be used as it is.
- Make sure to grease your dosa tawa well and ladle it through like a normal dosa.
- Cook until crisp. Serve with your favourite chutney or even chutney podi.