These Cocoa, Cranberry & Whiskey Brownies are pure indulgence! The three ingredients put together hit the right taste buds and I think, come together, to make an awesome brownie!
I am that brownie snob who for a very long time cringed enough on the name of Cocoa brownies. More than once I have been caught saying that if brownies don’t have good quality chocolate, what is the point of them? But these cocoa, cranberry & whiskey brownies sure make me a happy person!
And then a while ago, a friend got some kick-ass quality cocoa powder from South Africa and I tried the recipe Smitten Kitchen has very hesitantly. But I think the fact that cocoa good quality made all the difference and I ended up making those brownies with many variations. And then the cocoa got over and I was back to wondering what should I do now. The cocoa from Mason & Co is what came to rescue at that time (this is not a sponsored post 😉 ) I love the texture and flavour of the cocoa and after a few permutations and combinations, I made these cocoa, cranberry and whiskey brownies which are such a hit at home.
For all practical reasons, you can add anything instead of cranberries, skip the whiskey and they are still awesome brownies, but somehow this combination hits all the right notes. It is perfect for evening tea party or an after party dessert with ice cream or well, just because you want to eat them. Brownies taste good as they are, but combine them with some ice-cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce and some choco chips toppings, and you can take the entire dessert to the next level!
And if you get some awesome cocoa powder, there are a few more recipes you can definitely try out!
Easy Cocoa, Cranberry & Whiskey Brownies
- 10 tbsps unsalted butter (140 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (250 grams)
- 3/4 cup cocoa (65 grams) powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup flour (65 grams)
- 2/3 cup cranberry dried
- 1/4 cup whiskey (or less)
- Grease and line a 8x8 square pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Pre-Heat the oven at 170C
- Using a double boiler or a large microwave safe bowl, melt together butter, sugar and cocoa till you have a smoothish mixture. Add salt to this and whisk the mixture together. Keep aside for cooling, till the mixture is slightly warm.
- Add vanilla extract and one eggs at one time stirring well. Add whiskey and stir it well again.
- Fold in the flour and mix well till fully incorporated. Fold in the cranberries and pour the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes till the sides look set. Let it cool completely before slicing. A wet knife helps for getting cleaner pieces.