Chicken Tom Kha Gai Soup with chilli oil is a summer favourite. Refreshing flavours of lemongrass and ginger in coconut milk are a delight in every bite!
Let me tell you the story of how we started to drink soup in summer. Or in particular this Chicken Tom Kha Gai Soup.
I know we usually don’t think of soups when we think of summers but the child at home loves his soups all year through. And over time, we as a family have grown to appreciate the light and clear soups in summer so much. They are nourishing, easy to make and can be turned into a complete meal with an addition of a little carb on the side.
This Chicken Tom Kha Gai Soup with chilli oil is a summer favourite. Refreshing flavours of lemongrass and ginger in coconut milk, mushrooms and chicken for vitamins and protein. Add some flat noodles or serve some jasmine rice on the side if you want to make a complete meal out of it. It’s everything that summer dinners need – comforting and light.
So here is the recipe, If you make this, share a picture with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you have to say about it.
Chicken Tom Kha Gai Soup
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 inch piece of Galangal/ ginger
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 300 gm Boneless chicken
- 4 cups Chicken broth/water
- 100 gm Oyster mushrooms Cut into strips
- 100 gm button mushrooms cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1-2 bird eye chillies split lengthwise
- Salt as per taste
For the Chilli Oil
- 2 tbsp- olive oil
- 2 tsp- garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp- ginger finely chopped
- 2 tsp- Chilli powder
- 2 tsp- Chilli powder
- Using the back of your knife lightly bruise the lemongrass and galangal/ginger, and cut into pieces.
- Bring the lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves & chillies to a boil with the chicken broth or water (with a stock cube) in a large saucepan.
- Let it simmer for about 10 mins. Then strain the liquid and discard all the solids.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and add them to the saucepan and bring it to a boil. Simmer for about 8-10 mins
- Add the mushrooms and let it cook further for about 7-8 mins till both chicken and mushrooms are almost done.
- Then add the coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce.
- Let it simmer for 2-3 mins. Check for seasoning, add a tsp of lime juice for a little tanginess.
- Mix ginger, garlic and chilli powder in a bowl. Heat a couple of tbsps of olive oil in a pan and pour on top of the spices. Let it stand for a few minutes before using.
- Serve the soup in bowls with chilli oil and coriander leaves for garnish.
Leave a Reply