Neem leaves are extremely good for health and this Sweet Potato & Pomegranate Salad with Neem Leaf Dressing is the perfect way to use them.
I actually never thought I would be making a salad with Neem Leaf Dressing in it. All my life I have run away from Neem leaves and their super bitter taste. I know they are super good for health but I cannot get past the bitterness in my head.
And while I was thinking about what to make with N, Neem was in the back of my mind. While I kept thinking of what to do with it, I thought why not make a dressing with it. A dressing that balances the bitterness with maybe a little sweet, a little chilli and then pair it with sweet potato and some fruit. It was a crazy idea, one I wasn’t sure will work.
But I am glad I did try it because the neem leaves boiled with birds eye chilli, jaggery and blended with grated amla works perfectly as a salad dressing. I did add olive oil as the fat which helped to balance the dressing. And poured over grilled sweet potato and Pomegranate it just turned out perfect. It is a salad invention that really made me very happy. Glad about the work I do and the deliciousness I create.
Sweet Potato & Pomegranate Salad with Neem Leaf Dressing
- 500 gm sweet potato
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 pomegranate peeled
For the dressing
- 12 neem leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 bird’s eye chilli
- 2 tsp jaggery powder
- 1 amla grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp- olive oil
- Pre-Heat the oven to 180C. Wash the sweet potatoes and cut them into one-inch cubes.
- Place them in a tray, sprinkle salt and pepper, drizzle olive oil, chopped garlic. Place the tray in the oven and let it roast for about 30 mins till they are done. We want them cooked but not mushy.
- To make the dressing - Boil the neem leaves in water for about 10 mins and then remove the leaves.
- Deseed the bird’s eye chilli and chop it finely. Add it to the neem juice along with the jaggery and salt to taste. Let it reduce a little by boiling for about 5 minutes or so. Set aside for cooling.
- Once the liquid has cooled down, pour it into a jar/bottle, add olive oil, grated amla and shake well to emulsify the dressing. Check for seasoning.
- To assemble the salad - In a large bowl take the roasted sweet potatoes, peeled pomegranate and a handful of microgreens. Drizzle the dressing and toss the salad. Garnish with more microgreens or use rocket leaves/lettuce