Blueberry strudel muffins are a delightful option if you need bite-sized dessert ideas or need the perfect dish to pack for the lunchbox!
I love blueberries is no secret to anyone and I love them a lot. So when I got hold of a blueberry tin sometime back, blueberry strudel muffins were the first thing I made with them (after eating a whole bowl just like that, that is). God! they were yummy. I sent these to a boys trip my hubby had gone to and now every time, I meet his friends, the muffins are talked about 😉
While blueberries are not really ‘native’ to India, we get a lot of good imported quality ones. Blueberries, like any other berry, are really good on their antioxidant properties. They are good at combating the aging process of the body, and they build up the immunity system too. These berries help reduce inflammation of the body and thus combat heart diseases and diabetes. They are also known to boost the brain power, due to the high amount of phenols in them. Blueberries help regulate the digestion process and promote heart health. Apparently, studies have proven that eating blueberries and strawberries regularly reduces the risk of heart attacks significantly. And of course, blueberries are known for their excellent skin care properties. Now if you have a fruit with so many amazing health benefits, you will surely end up eating them regularly, right?
I have always maintained that I enjoy baking with fruits. Since most kids (and adults!) love baked products, they are one of the easiest ways to incorporate some fruits into the diet. Plus, I always feel that baking with fruits just adds that extra flavor to any recipe!
Talking about berries, have you tried making these two-way strawberry chocolate cupcakes? They are so delicious 🙂
Recipe Adapted from All recipes
Blueberry Strudel Muffins
- 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries fresh
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 and 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.