Apricot Orange Cookies made from whole wheat flour are a great snack option! The delicious apricots and some nuts added in ensure that these cookies are healthy and yummy!
These days Ojas is in love with anything which is baked. He is such a fussy eater, but if there is something that has come out of the oven, he eats it :D. Hence I am constantly on the lookout for healthy baking recipes. After I made the Oat Bran Muffins, I tried these apricot orange cookies this time. I had seen this recipe in Tarla Dalal’s Growing Kids cook book (which BTW has great recipes) and made some minor changes to the recipe while making it. There were about 20 medium size cookies which came out and were over in a day 🙂
Isn’t it amazing how kids eat baked goodies as if they are the best in the world? I think it has got to do with the smell of the food being cooked in the oven which makes it so appetizing, or perhaps the whole process of mixing and putting in the oven, which makes them so enticing 🙂 And the good part about baking is that you can mix and match the ingredients easily!
Some little adjustments in the recipe and you can get a healthier version of any dish! Like replacing some of the maida with whole wheat flour or using olive oil instead of butter. I must admit it is a trial and error process, but believe me, once you get the basics right, it is just about trying to get something healthier! Like these whole wheat cookies, I baked after reading up a bit about cookies and then used my own recipe. They turned out to be so delish and such a super hit!
These apricot and orange cookies taste delicious with a cup of coffee or tea! Serve them to kids with a glass of milk and you can be rest assured that they won’t get hungry until dinner time 🙂
Apricot Orange Cookies
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used atta)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar powdered
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (I skipped this and put more baking powder)
- 2 tbsps apricots dried and chopped
- 1/2 tbsps nuts chopped (cashews, walnuts and almonds)
- 2 tbsps orange flavored drink mix (I used Kissan sqaush)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp butter for greasing
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to get a soft dough.
- Mould into medium sized balls, flatten and make a cross sign on the top with a knife or a fork.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160 C for 20 minutes or till the cookies are golden brown in colour.
- Enjoy warm or eat after cooling.
- Can be stored for a long time only if they last :D.