Whole Wheat Spiced Rhubarb Cake is the perfect comfort food on a cold winter evening!
The whole wheat spiced rhubarb cake sure makes life much better 🙂
Some days ago suddenly, out of the blue I found “Rhubarb” at the Godrej Nature’s Basket, after rubbing my eyes twice to confirm its rhubarb, and then rubbing it once again when I asked the price to find its just about Rs 200/kg, I picked up how much ever rhubarb they had. It was close to about a kg and I had already started dreaming of what all I will make of it, unfortunately or fortunately I had promised another friend half of it and all I was left was some 400 gms. I had so many things in mind, a pie, a sauce, a tart but all required a little more of rhubarb and then I thought let me do a good old spiced cake with it. Comfort food with a punch of rhubarb and I am so glad I did because I could taste the rhubarb so well. It wasn’t as sweet and juicy as I expected it to be but finding it right here in desh, I was happy with whatever I got 🙂
Rhubarb has been used for years as a medicinal plant. It was first introduced in England from China where it gained popularity in pies. Rhubarb has a lot of benefits. It aids weight loss, improves digestion, stimulates bone growth, helps improve the skin texture and health, improves circulation, protects against cardiovascular diseases and even protects against cancer. With so many benefits, isn’t it the right thing to eat?
Interestingly only the stalks of rhubarb are eaten, because the leaves have very high content of oxalic acid, which may be cause severe illness in some people. Hence only the stalks are eaten!
Some other whole wheat recipes on the blog
Whole wheat lemon & cranberry muffins
Whole wheat choco chips cookies
Whole wheat apple & orange muffins
Adapted from BBC Good Food
Whole Wheat Spiced Rhubarb Cake
- 140 gm butter , softened , plus extra for greasing
- 150 gm all purpose flour
- 150 gm whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp all spice (freshly ground if possible)
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 150 g brown sugar
- 100 g honey
- 100 ml buttermilk (I used the spiced chaaas, worked beautifully since it's a spiced cake)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs , beaten
- icing sugar , for dusting
- Heat oven to 180C
- Sift the flour and spices into a bowl.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in 200ml boiling water, gradually add to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Add in the flour slowly, then add the eggs, mixing briefly and in the end, add the buttermilk.
- Fold in the 3/4th of the rhubarb.
- Pour in a greased and lined tray (I used silicone) and spread the rest of the rhubarb on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes till a skewer comes out clean.
- Dust with icing sugar.
Swati Raman Garg says
Love that pic with the rhubarb on the cutting board.. Nd the cake was so soft.. Aah.. Perfectly spiced!
I’m yet to bake with rhubarb.. Hope to lay my hands on some ASAP!
Lovely cake & gorgeous photos! 🙂
Madhu Varma says
always wanted to ask you – is APF same as Maida?