Roasted +sweet potato and rocket salad with hung curd dressing. This is a salad you will fall in love with and ready in under 30 minutes as well !
I love sweet potato and I have very fond memories of the shakarkandi chaat being sold on the Delhi roads. The spicy, tart and sweet all balanced so well and sweet potato slow roasted in sand. There is no other street food that quite matches up to the comfort of Shakarkandi chaat and I am always looking at more and more ways to use this humble tuber at home, which is a great carbohydrate to have, instead of rice and wheat, it has numerous benefits to health. Hence this delicious sweet potato and rocket salad with hung curd dressing.
I saw this sweet potato salad with lettuce and rocket leaves long ago in a magazine, it had a orange dressing if I am not mistaken but the combination kind of stuck in my head and I tried it with the hung curd dressing with flavoured with Indian spices. I think it gives me comfort in a lot of ways since it is probably closer in taste to the shakarkandi chaat I grew up eating. The slight bitterness of the rocket leaves is balanced very well with the sweet potato and even the child eats this salad with great enthusiasm. For this salad, I also roast the sweet potatoes directly on the gas making the flavour even more comforting and stronger. You can choose to roast it in the oven if you want but do try the gas roasting to see how lovely it tastes. But whatever you do never boil the sweet potato, for me it is almost killing the poor vegetable when it can instead shine when roasted!
Sometime ago when I was in Delhi for the JWMA event, I was talking to Amrita of LifeKiRecipe and she said she makes a similar salad and even does a little heeng-jeera tadka of to the salad, I think that would be fantastic as well and I will try it next time I make this salad.
Sweet Potato and Rocket Salad with Hung Curd Dressing
- 500 gms sweet potato
- 1/2 cup rocket leaves
- 6 - 7 lettuce leaves
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup hung curd
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp jeera powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger dry powder
- to taste salt Black
- Wash the sweet potato well and then lightly grease them and roast them directly on the gas. Once the sweet potato is cooked (a fork inserted comes clean all the way), remove from fire and keep aside for cooling.
- Once the sweet potato is cool, peel using a sharp knife so that all the peel and charred part is removed. Chop in small cubes and set aside.
- Wash and dry rocket and lettuce leaves either using a salad spinner or by laying them in a dry towel. Set aside.
- Mix together all the ingredients of the dressing using a small whisk till well blended.
- Now mix together chopped sweet potato, rocket, and lettuce leaves gently so that the leaves aren't crushed.
- Serve immediately. I will let you out a small secret this is a great healthy snack to be had with beer as well 🙂