A very easy, ready in 20 minutes Egg Curry recipe for weekday dinners. This is a recipe I learnt from my house help and is now my go to Egg Curry recipe for the days I am in a hurry. Steam some rice on the side, slice some onions and you can have a perfect healthy dinner in under 30 minutes.
Egg curry is one of the comfort foods for both me and the husband. Actually for me eggs are, I need an egg almost on a daily basis specially in my breakfast. I have been known to make a sunny side up with even idlies on the side because I didn’t eat any egg the previous day. Probably one of the reasons you might find so many egg recipes on the blog.
Egg curry for our house is one of those I don’t know what to eat or OMG I forgot make dinner days. (Read this post on more details about managing a weekly menu and how to handle such days). A parantha, some steamed rice or boiled millets on the side and it is delicious, healthy meal for a weekday. And what is even better is that it is quick and easy to make.
I have many versions of egg curry in my treasured hand written everyday recipe book. And this one is a recent addition to it. I hired a new cook a while ago and when I asked her to make egg curry she asked me if she can make it her way this time. All for tasting new stuff and flavours, I was happy to let her. 20 minutes she came to me with a bowl of this to taste. One bite and I loved it and instead of having it for dinner we had it with dosa for breakfast that day. Since then it is a regular at home now. We eat it once a week and if left to the child and the man will probably eat more than that.
Last week I asked her for the recipe and she looked at me in that strange what is wrong with you look that I know too well by now. So I stood with her and measured out whatever she was putting for you guys and here is the brilliant recipe for Ballamma’s Egg Curry. The primary addition being roasted channa dal ground with a few spices. It thickness the curry and add volume & a distinct flavour to it.
Easy Egg Curry - 20 minutes Everyday Egg Curry
- 6 medium eggs boiled and peeled
- 1 large onion grated
- 2 meidum tomatoes pureed
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
For the masala
- 1/4 cup roasted channa dal
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- 2 dry red chilli
- Grind all ingredients of the masala together to a fine powder. Keep aside
- In a kadhai, heat oil. Once hot add curry leaves and grated onions to it. Sauté till the onions are slightly browned. This will take 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and Sauté further for 2-3 minutes. Add the ground masala, around 1 - 1.5 cup of water and bring to boil. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Add boiled and peeled eggs. Run the knife on the surface of the eggs to create little cuts so that the masala seeps in. Boil further for 2 minutes.
- Switch off and serve warm with rotis, rice or dosa.