I love roasted vegetables and I love eggs and when these two come together, they create magic. Though honestly, I love the egg yolks and think the crusade against them is totally wrong. They have excellent fat and your body does need good fat in certain amounts to keep running. So unless you are eating 4-6 eggs a day, please eat those yolks. This Eggwhite Frittata is to die for!
Why an Eggwhite frittata you ask then? Because for some reason I like the flavour of roasted vegetables better with egg whites than whole eggs. Also you do need only egg white recipes for the days you bake those cakes which required the egg yolks and then if you are the kind who is still not convinced on the goodness of egg yolk and wants to eat the white or someone who has been medically advised to keep away from all fat, this is perfect for you. This amazingly low-calorie frittata is very quick – you can make it on a weekday morning but it looks so elegant that you can serve it to guests on a weekend brunch too.
So Eggwhite Frittata with Roasted Vegetables is the perfect breakfast to kickstart your day. Excellent (fat-free if you care) protein from the eggs white and the vitamins and minerals from the roasted vegetables it will provide you an excellent nutritional start to the day. I like to use beetroot, yellow and red peppers and broccoli but really any vegetable can be used. I made this with various vegetables handy at that time with me and if you roast your vegetables the night before it can be put together for breakfast in under 20 minutes.
ETA : Here’s the video version if you’d like to see it for yourself how much fun it is making this –
Here are some similar recipes if you’d like more breakfast options with eggs :
Eggwhite Frittata with Roasted Vegetables
To roast vegetables
- 1/2 beetroot
- 1/2 pepper yellow
- 1/3 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the Frittata
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tbsps cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp olive oil
- To roast the vegetables - peel and slice beetroot in thin slices. Discard the seeds of yellow pepper and slice thin. Coat all the vegetables with olive oil and salt and grill in a pre heated oven at 180 C for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, mix oregano and salt together.
- Heat a cast iron pan and grease with olive oil, spread the roasted vegetables in the pan and pour the whisked eggs and spread the grated cheese on top.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes till fully set.
- Serve warm with warm bread