The best ever sambhar which taste great with paniyarams 🙂
So readers of this blog now very well know that my current obsession is Tamil food. Continuing with that, I made Paniyaram and sambhar made with freshly ground spices along with coconut chutney at home the other day. Though I make Paniyaram at home pretty often but this was the first ever time I was going to make sambhar without using sambhar powder. I must say I was pretty pleased with the results. It was one of the best ever sambhar I have made, in fact one of the best sambhars I have ever had!
- 3/4 cup Toor dal
- 1 Onion – large chopped
- 2 Tomato – medium sized chopped
- 1 cup Mix veggies – (I used 1 carrot, 1 potato, 1 small brinjal and some beans)
- Tamarind – lemon sized ball
- 2 green chillies – slit lengthwise
- to taste salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- a handful for coriander leaves garnishing
- 1 tsp oil
To be roasted and ground in a powder
- 2 tbsps coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- Boil all the veggies and toor dal along with water, salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and leave for 10 minutes, extract the pulp. Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds to it when they splutter add curry leaves and fry for 1 minute
- Add the tadka to the sambhar along with the tamarind pulp and boil for 5 minutes or so till the tamarind is cooked and the raw smell goes away.
- At this stage add the roasted ground masala to it and boil for another 2-3 minutes
- Garnish with coriander leaves and the best ever sambhar is ready!
- 2 cups idly batter
- to taste salt
- 2 tsps ginger green chili paste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- a handful curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Mix all the paniyaram ingredients together and keep.
- Heat the paniyaram pan and put a spoonful of batter in each, add a drop of oil to it and let it cook for about 2 minutes till its browned. Some of you had asked me how to use a paniyaram pan when I mentioned that I do my koftas etc frying in it instead of deep frying. So here is how it looks like and how you use it
- Turn it carefully and let the other side cook too.