These Nutella Self Frosting Cupcakes are such a hit among kids (and adults too!) The swirls are so pretty and they are really easy to bake!
I am a self confessed Nutella addict, on the bread, strawberries dipped in them or straight from the jar and then many years ago I came across these Nutella self frosting cupcakes (aren’t they beauties?) on a Donna Hay website and I had to make them. Since then I have made them on an average once a quarter, sometimes once a month. These are so fancy without actually having to frost them and they have nutella! What else can one ask for, really?
They are always a hit specially with the kids who get fascinated by the swirls on the top, as they wonder how they are made, they are great for the snack box as well.
Well, since I have confessed I am a Nutella addict, here are some facts I loved reading about from the Nutella website!
- You could circle the world 1.8 times with the amount of Nutella produced in one year.
- You could cover the Great Wall of China 8 times with the number of jars of Nutella sold in a year.
- There are so many jars of Nutella made each year, that they would line the banks of the Danube 26 times over. That’s a river so long, it flows through 10 different countries!
- The amount of Nutella produced in 1 year weighs the same as the Empire State Building.
Guess there are loads of folks as crazy about Nutella as me 🙂 Now, Nutella self frosting cupcakes recipe is the one which even the child at home knows by heart. Ready in 30-35 minutes they are fantastic last minute treats for anything. I actually can’t believe that I haven’t shared it here yet. That is another thing I am loving about A-Z challenge it is making me post and dig out my favorite recipes that somehow I have been too lazy to post on the blog.
Before that, have you checked out my other Nutella based recipes?
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay
Nutella Self Frosting Cupcakes
- 10 tbsps butter (140 grams) at room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour (200 grams)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/3 cup nutella
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper liners.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy for about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, until incorporated. Add vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and baking powder until batter is uniform and no flour remains.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure or an ice cream scoop, fill each lined muffin liner about 3/4 full.
- Top each cupcake with 1 1/2 tsp of Nutella. Swirl Nutella in with a toothpick making designs your heart desires.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes till the toothpick comes out clean
- Let it cool before serving. Best served the same day but stays good in an airtight container for 2-3 days.