Herb Crusted Fish with Cape Gooseberry Sauce is one of those dishes which will make you go wow! An amazing way to use those fresh cape gooseberries which are in season 🙂
While I indulge in imported berries, I gorge on the Indian one as well. Like mulberry and currently in seasonm cape gooseberry. Also known as Physalis aka rasbhari as it was called, while I was growing up in Delhi. I have been eating cape gooseberry by the kilo, making jams and preserves out of it. Then the other day, I made a cape gooseberry sauce with it and ate it with some herb crusted fish and salad. It was a heavenly meal.
N kept asking me for days to make it again but the problem was that I forgot what I had put in the sauce apart from cape gooseberry. But because it was so loved in the house, I sat down and tried to remember everything and recreate it. Thankfully what came out was brilliant too (if not exactly the same). So here is my recipe of Herb Crusted Fish with Cape gooseberry sauce. For vegetarians, I think it will go with Paneer too.
Cape gooseberry is one of those delicious berries, which go well with anything. They really taste well in salads too. Like this corn and cape gooseberry salad which I made the other day. It was so yummilicous 🙂 Or just make a simple chutney out of it. I learnt this one and have been making it whenever cape gooseberry is in season. It is super popular at home especially when I serve it with paranthas and dosa.
So go ahead and buy some fresh cape gooseberry whenever you get a chance. They are so healthy and so yummy! And this cape gooseberry sauce will be a hit at home, I can assure you that 🙂
Recipe – Herb Crusted Fish with Cape Gooseberry Sauce.
Herb Crusted Fish with Cape Gooseberry sauce
For the fish
- 2 fish fillets of mahi mahi or pomfret fish
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp parsley and thyme chopped
- to taste salt and pepper
- olive oil to shallow fry the fish
For the sauce
- 1 cup cape gooseberry chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 to 3 chillies Fresno
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- to taste salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Heat the butter and add cape gooseberries, brown sugar and chillies to it.
- Let the berries cook for about 10 minutes till soft and cooked.
- Add parsley and cook for another minute.
- Let it cool and puree once cool.
- Add pepper and salt to the sauce and some water and let it simmer till it reaches the desired consistency.
- Keep to cool
- In the meanwhile, mix bread crumbs, salt, pepper and herbs together.
- Coat the fish fillets and fry in heated oil both sides till done.
- Serve the herb fish on a bed of sauce along with some salad.