Garden to Table : Grilled Chicken Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing perfect for the summer! Delicious and really light yet filling!
So the kitchen garden is flourishing knock on wood and I can’t even begin to explain the joy in plucking a vegetable and cooking with it. Most vegetable dishes taste so much better when cooked with the vegetables from the garden but it is a different high all together to pluck vegetables that can be eaten raw. The freshness in salads is mind blowing. Just like this delicious grilled chicken brussels sprouts salad!
I have a patch of lettuce growing in the garden and the freshness and crunch from in the salad is unbelievable. The joy of plucking that lettuce and using it in your salad is incomparable. If you see too much of excitement here, please excuse, my garden usually evokes that in me 😉 Here look at the beauty growing in my garden 🙂
Last week, I plucked some of these and then looked at my fridge to see what salad could I whip up. My salad making is usually that a little unplanned and putting together by what is available in the pantry. Making a simple quick dressing and one is ready for a filling, healthy and tasty meal. One day, I will do a salad 101 post, but till such time here are the salad recipes for you 🙂
Here is one with chicken, brussels sprouts and a fresh asian style orange and ginger dressing!
Salads are not really only tomato, onion and cucumber! There is so much you can do with some basic ingredients. One of the best thing about salads is that you can mix and match as much as you want! Add an egg, or grill some tomatoes, tear some lettuce or sprinkling some cheese, and you have amazing salad options 🙂 Okay, I am going a bit overboard here, so here is the recipe to a simple salad which rocks in summer 🙂
Grilled Chicken, Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Ginger Dressing
For grilling brussels sprouts
- 100 gms Brussel sprouts
- 2 pods garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- to taste salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme dry
For assembling the salad
- 7 - 8 lettuce large leaves
- 1/2 cup chicken Grilled
- 1 cucumber
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup orange juice Fresh
- 1 tsp orange Zest
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ginger Grated
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- to taste salt
- Pre heat the oven to 200C for 20 mins. While the oven is heating. Clean and slice brussels sprouts in two. Pour the oil and mix with the rest of the grilling ingredients and grill in the oven for 12-15 minutes till softy but not mushy. Keep aside for cooling.
- In a small old jar, mix together all the dressing ingredients.
- Clean, tear and dry lettuce leaves either in a salad spinner or by lining up in a newspaper. Wet leaves will make the salad limp, so this is an important step. I prefer to use the salad spinner, it makes my life easier.
- De seed and chop cucumber into small pieces.
- Mix together all the salad ingredients i.e cucumber, brussels sprouts, lettuce, chicken (I prefer to use left over grilled/dry chicken, any other protein like boiled eggs, tofu and paneer also works) gently along with dressing. Be gentle with the mixing and don't crush your leaves.
- Serve as a quick meal or an appetiser to a longer sit down meal.