This Easy Ginger Plum Upside Down Cake is a just what you need when the gorgeous plums are in town. Perfect for evening tea, snack box or as a party dessert along with some ice cream.
Stone fruits are my soul food, whether it is the peach, mango, litchi or plums. I adore them, I love to eat them. I also love to cook and bake with them. And this plum season I have already made this Ginger and Plum Upside Down Cake three times. It is easy, delicious and has been wiped down every time.
And after making it three times when I was editing the pictures of the cake, the child asked me if I can make it again. Yes, that is how much we have loved this cake.
And it is so simple to make. One pan to make caramel and one to mix the cake batter. All it takes it 15 minutes to assemble the cake and for me that includes the time I took to chop plums.
So, what are you waiting for folks? Order those plums now and get baking!
If you make this, share a picture with me on twitter, instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you have to say about it!
Easy Ginger Plum Upside Down Cake
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1.5 tsp dry ginger powder
- 6 medium plums pitted and sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 160 gm unsalted butter (3/4 cup)
- 185 gm all purpose flour 1.5 cups
- 2 large eggs
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil without stirring. Over high heat, cook until amber-colored caramel forms, approx 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off from the heat and whisk in the butter & dry ginger powder. Pour the caramel into a 9-inch round cake pan. Arrange the plum wedges in the caramel in concentric circles. Set aside.
- Put all the ingredients of the cake in a mixing bowl and mix using a hand blender, till it is smooth.
- Pour over the plums and bake at 180C for 35-40 mins till the skewer comes out clean.
- Wait for 20 minutes and then invert the cake on a plate to de-pan. Serve warm or cold. Cake lasts about 2-3 days in airtight container.
More interesting Plum Recipes
White Chocolate & Tender Coconut Mousse with Wine Poached Plums
Salad with Plums and Black Rice
Leave a Reply