Dubki Walle Aloo is the Mathura style Traditional Aloo ki sabji. It is the perfect side dish for pooris or khasta kachoris. Topped up with Khatti Meethi Methi Ki Chutney there are very few things that beat this combination.
I love Dubki Walle aloo for more reasons than one. They are super simple to make and pack such a flavour punch. Especially when topped with the khatti meethi methi ki chutney (Sweet and sour Fenugreek Seeds Relish) it triumphs proudly.
The gravy of this aloo is so basic, you just need handful of spices that we usually always have at home. No onions, no garlic, no tomato so this perfectly valid Jain friendly food too. Well not strictly speaking as Jains don’t have potatoes but like they say in Bombay “semi-Jain” may be.
The chutney that I learnt to make from a friend’s mother balances the latent spice of the dubki walle aloo so well. It is not mandatory to make but it does take the whole dish to another level.
So here are both the recipes. Coming up next – those delicious looking khasta kachoris and a story very very dear to my heart.
If you make this, share a picture with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you have to say about it!
Dubki Walle Aloo with Khatti Meethi Methi Ki Chutney
For the Khatti Meethi Methi Ki Chutney
- 1 tbsp methi Fenugreek seeds
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tsp Saunf Fennel Seeds
- 3 tsp amchoor powder Dry Mango powder
- 2-3 pieces amchoor Dry mango pieces
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup raw mango chopped
- 1/2 tsp Saunth powder Dry Ginger
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- 2 tsp jaggery
- A Pinch Hing
- Salt to taste
For the Dubki Walle Aloo
- 500 gm potatoes boiled and peeled
- 1/2 tsp methi Fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Saunf Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp jeera seeds Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp heeng Asafoetida
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 3 green chillies
- 4 Dry red chilies
- 2 tsp amchoor powder Dry mango powder
- 2 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
For the chutney
- Put all the ingredients along with 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles. Open and simmer until the chutney is reduced to half
For the dubki walle aloo
- Soak methi seeds in water and set aside for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water (keep aside for gravy) and grind the seeds coarsely using a mortar pestle.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan. When the oil is hot, add heeng, zeera, methi seeds, saunf and dry red chilies. Sautee for a few minutes till fragant.
- Add the roughly chopped potatoes and green chilies. Add all dry spices namely turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder and salt. Mix well
- Add 4-5 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Let the curry simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add amchoor powder and mix well.
- Switch off the gas, garnish with coriander leaves and serve with pooris or kachori
No one can beat the taste of Mathura’s Food. Matura which is world famous due to birth place of lord krishna. keep Sharing more yummy recipes. i hope you will also like “Green Peas Kheer”