This creamy spinach pasta has a base of blanched spinach puree with cream, seasoned with mixed herbs and red chilli flakes. It is easy, delicious and perfect for the times we are living in.
I have fond memories of Spinach and Popeye, I am sure a lot of folks of my generation do. Popeye is the way I taught my son to eat spinach and this Creamy Spinach pasta made the job easier.
Pasta is one of the easiest dishes there is that one can rustle up for a quick meal. All it requires are pantry staples. Like for example a ‘cacio e pepe pasta’ that is pepper pasta, just has black pepper, cheese, and some reserved pasta water.
Or even a basic Aglio e olio has just garlic, chilli and cheese. Pasta can be easily tossed with any sauces you have in hand, like a marinara (tomato-based) sauce, pesto (basil & walnuts based) sauce, white sauce or a creamy spinach sauce like this one.
Pasta can also be based on the fresh produce you have. Sauteed, grilled vegetables go great with pasta. A hearty bolognese with minced meat, tomatoes and spices makes for a great meal. This creamy spinach pasta has a base of blanched spinach puree with cream, seasoned with mixed herbs and red chilli flakes. And is healthy, comforting and easy. Which are my top three criteria for cooking during the lockdown.
COVID Isolation Thoughts
I actually don’t think I have anything to say today. Or rather, I actually don’t think there is anything I want to say today. As a very selfish bitch, the past few days I have only been thinking of the long-pending Japan trip I have had to cancel.
The loss is financial AND emotional. It is a trip that I had been planning with a dear friend of mine for two years. I mean imagine TWO YEARS of planning and it’s washed away in a jiffy. I know I should be the bigger person and say it’s ok. Say that I will adjust with that. But I swear this hurts. And as much I am trying, I am not able to make peace with it.
Of course, I know I am not going but I am not able to peacefully and willfully accept that fact. People tell me that I shouldn’t crib or don’t worry, the trip will happen. But it is never the same. God knows what future has in store for us.
Apart from this rant, life is going on in a boring pattern now. So see you next time people!
Creamy Spinach Pasta: And god knows what day of COVID lockdown
- 1/2 cup Farfalle pasta bow/butterfly shaped, penne works too
- 1/4 cup Sweet corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 1/4 cup Mushrooms
- 1 cup Spinach
- 4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1/3 cup Cream or use full fat milk
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs seasoning use those pizza seasonings
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- Salt- to taste
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper powder
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- Wash spinach leaves and keep aside. Do use the tender stalks too, they have lovely nutrition and flavour. Cut mushroom into quarters or cut thick slices of it.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil and heavily salt it. Once it is boiling, blanch the spinach leaves in it for 1-2 mins. Take it off the hot water and put it in cold water. This will help keep spinach from overcooking and losing it lovely green color. Once it is cooled, blend to a smooth paste.
- In the same water, add the pasta and let it cook
- Heat a pan with a tsp of olive oil and add the mushrooms to it. Make sure it's in a single layer and let it fry until golden brown on a low flame. Take off the mushrooms from the pan and transfer to a plate once they are browned.
- Add another tsp of olive oil and add the chopped garlic to it, saute. Add the spinach puree and cook for 5 mins. Add the seasoning and cream (or if using milk add a tsp of flour to it and mix well). Mix well and taste, check for seasoning.
- At this point, check on the pasta as well and when it's almost done, throw in the frozen corn kernels as it’ll hardly take any time to cook. Take out the pasta and corn and add it to the sauce.
- Toss to combine with the mushrooms and to make it saucier add a little bit of pasta water and mix. Grate some parmesan on top if you have. I have run out of it at this point.