Corn Chilli Muffins combine the deliciousness of corn, with onions and cheese, and a dash of chillis to create the perfect savory snack!
Pack these corn chilli muffins for lunchbox or just eat them for breakfast, they sure are a tasty treat for all!
I love savory bakes. Besides serving as a brilliant breafast option they are also healthier than the sweet variety. One can cut down on sugar and still enjoy the baked goodies :D.
Sometime back I had got about 2 kgs of fresh yellow cornflour from a friend’s farm, I made yummy makki ki roti’s and corn breads etc., but there was still a lot left, so I decided to experiment with muffins using it. Just took the corn bread as a base and worked around the recipe in my head to suit it to muffins. I was clear I wanted something spicy and hence added some green chillies and some red chilly flakes and also thought a little crunch would be good so added some corn kernels and chopped onion, some cheese for that extra kick and I can happily say that the result was delish… everyone enjoyed it for a hearty Sunday breakfast!
Corn is often misunderstood be bad for health. Honestly, while there is a lot of talk on genetically modified corn and all that, but corn is actually pretty nutritious for the body. Corn has been used for centuries in South America and North America as a staple food and even in the North of India. The makki di roti and sarsoon ka saag combination is evergreen, isn’t it? Corn is supposed to be a great source of antioxidants, high in fibre, and is naturally gluten free. This means that even people with gluten allergy can actually indulge in corn products! It is also supposed to be digested very slowly, which means that you would eat a lot less of calories if you eat corn in a healthy manner! Corn is also supposed to be rich in Vitamin E which is good for the hair and skin! Honestly, there is a lot of benefits of corn and who can really resist a butta roasted on charcoal, and smeared with some lime and chaat masala, on a rainy day, eh?
Corn chilli muffins
- 1 1/2 cups corn flour yellow
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- to taste Salt (I added 1/2 tsp as I added cheese too)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1 onion medium chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli of flakes
- 1/2 tsp rosemary of dried
- 1/2 cup cheese grated mozeralla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Mix both the flours along with salt and baking powder and keep seperate
- Beat eggs along with milk
- Add this to the to the flours and mix till incorporated, if u feel the batter is thick add a little more milk
- Fold in the chillies, onion, herbs and corn kernels
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 190C for about 15 minutes or till done