By now we all know I am OBSESSED with Black Carrots and this Roasted Black Carrot Soup with Feta & Almonds is my latest love. Easy to make, super delicious and oh so nutritious.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I have been obsessing over Black Carrots. I made a friend lug me some from Delhi & I have been cooking and baking with them like crazy. The carrots are almost over now and this Roasted Black Carrot Soup with Feta & Almonds is the last thing I made with them.
If you are wondering what exactly are black carrots, I wrote a piece for Goya Journal on them. The article also has the recipe of my favourite probiotic drink in the whole world – Kaanji. These little gems that come for a very short time every year, are my favourite kinds of carrots honestly. I don’t even get them in Bangalore very easily but I make sure I get my hands on some every year.
They have a beautiful earthy flavour that I can’t get enough of. They are also perfect in salads and stir-fries. Apart from the flavour, they add a fantastic colour to the dish as well. I recently made a kickass black carrot cake with them this time. And also used the puree in a black carrot sourdough bread.
But probably the best thing to come out of my kitchen with these black carrots this year was this soup. Roasted Black Carrot Soup with a crunch of toasted almonds, a generous helping of feta, topped with some microgreens and served with a slice of bread. Perfect healthy dinner option.
If you make this, share a picture with me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you have to say about it. And if you are looking for something sweet to make with Black Carrots, try this Black Carrot Halwa.
Roasted Black Carrot Soup with Feta & Almonds
For Roasting the carrots
- 3-4 Black carrots 250 gm approx
- 1 small onion
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4-5 leaves basil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup feta cheese or more
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds roughly chopped
- microgreens or chopped parsley
For soup grinding
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- Peel and roughly chop the black carrots, add garlic, chilli flakes, salt and olive oil and rub it mixed. In a preheated oven at 200C, grill them for around 20 minutes till tender.
- In a blender with heat friendly grinding, puree the carrots with a little vegetable stock till smooth. If you don't have a heat friendly mixer, cool the carrots somewhat and then grind. We like our soups thick and don't mind a bit of texture, if you want it super smooth, filter at this stage.
- In a heavy bottom pan, add the pureed carrots, water/vegetable stock and bring to boil. Adjust the thickness by adding more liquid or boiling till it is thick enough for you.
- Served garnished with toasted almonds, generous amount of feta cheese and microgreens/parsley.
Leave a Reply