Berry and Greens Salad is the perfect spring or summer salad if you ask me. Sweet and tart berries, crunch from the greens and a simple Honey vinaigrette dressing. What’s not to love!
I love berries, they are my favorite fruit. It is a pity that we don’t get a lot of them in India but over time I have realized that the ones we do get are full of flavor punch. The sweet and soft mulberries, the slightly tart cape gooseberries, the strawberry of course and the numerous small wild berries. They are all a treasure. So last week I used them to make a Berry and Greens Salad, I served it first at my book club meet and it was such a hit. Have made it twice after that till I ran out of mulberries sadly.
But honestly, this salad should work with any berries you have handy. If you want to splurge go to Nature’s Basket and pick up the blueberries and the blackberries. Or forage around and find the local berries. I used the mulberries and cape gooseberries I got from Delhi along with a bit of Sundakkai or turkey berry which is very common in the South and is growing like a weed in my garden. Combined this with mixed salad greens, especially the slightly bitter rocket or arugula and I had a spectacular salad.
Coming up tomorrow – Components of a good salad for C. Stay tuned and do subscribe if you haven’t already. You don’t want to miss the salad series, do you?
Berry and Greens Salad - The perfect summer Salad
- 2 cups mixed berries Fresh, frozen won't work here
- 1 cup mixed salad greens I used green lettuce and rocket
- 1/4 cup Cherry Tomatoes slit into half
- 1/4 cup Globe grapes slit into half
- handful Sundakkai/turkey berry
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Using an empty jar, mix together all the ingredients of the dressing well. Set aside till the salad is ready
- Mix together the salad ingriendts, top with the dressing and gently mix. Serve immediately.