Starting yet another season of A-Z Challenge and this time the theme is SALADS. One month, 26 salads and lots of tips and tricks to make kickass salads at home. Starting the series with this delicious Apple Chicken Salad.
So I am jumping in again, in the A-Z Challenge. Regular readers will remember the Baking A-Z I did a couple of years ago. I love how this challenge pushes me beyond my comfort zone and helps me bring the blog back to regular posting. I might never be able to finish the 26 posts in April but I will finish them I promise. And kickstarting the challenge is this Apple Chicken Salad, one of my favorite way to eat the tart and firm green apple.
I have a very funny story to tell about this salad though. Typical of my last minute habits (don’t stare at me like that, this is how I have been all my life. Exam prep also used to happen last minute), I made the salad yesterday evening. It was about 6pm and the light was running out. I wanted to take a picture before it became dark, so I quickly made the salad and took a picture. And the picture had a hand model to the boot. But then this morning while writing the post I realized, I have forgotten to add APPLE. I really had a good laugh on it.
Anyways, this morning I made the salad again and clicked a picture. It is a pity that my hand model is in school and I can not repeat the same picture. Also that tells me that the salad works with or without apples. LOL something for mistakes then.
If you make this, share a picture with me on twitter, instagram or Facebook? I would love to hear what you say. Also have you subscribed to the blog yet? Do you know, you get a free Salad ebook on subscription. Don’t wait, click on the button in the left bar now 🙂
A to Z of Salads : Apple Chicken Salad with Onion Flowers
- 200 gm chicken breast
- 1 green apple
- 1 kakdi
- 6-7 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lettuce leaves
- 3-4 onion flowers
- 1/4 cup popped jowar
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp coconut vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp freshly pounded pepper
- Salt to taste
For the chicken rub
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients under chicken rub. Coat chicken in it and shallow fry till done. Cool a bit and cut into thin strips when cool. Alternatively, you can use any debone leftover dry chicken you have.
- Using an empty jar, mix together all the ingredients of the dressing well. Set aside till the salad is ready
- Cut apple, kakdi (indian long green cucumber, you may use normal cucumber as well) into juilenes. Chop cherry tomato into halves. Clean, dry and roughly chop the lettuce leaves
- Mix together the salad ingriendts, top with the dressing and gently mix. Serve immediately.