Baked Ajwaini Fish is a perfect accompaniment to any meal and is amazing as a starter too!
The chain seemed pretty interesting so I sent a mail to the organizers and a little while later Nisa mailed me saying that she is the one who will send me the package. I was delighted and wondering what will be the secret ingredient and the package arrived soon with guess what as the favorite ingredient, ajwain aka carom seeds. And along with that she sent me some delicious home made chocolates too which were devoured by the brat one after the other very quickly. Thank you, so much Nisa.
Now ajwain is something I use very regularly, put it every day in atta dough and use in dishes that may cause a bit of gas issues. So I was wondering what to make with which the taste of ajwain will stand out and will do justice to the secret ingredient. That was when someone shared this and it seemed like a perfect thing to try with my fish.
Honestly, I love adding ajwain to most of my dishes. Whether it is paranthas or curry, a bit of ajwain is always great. The yummy south Indian oma podi (sev with the ajwain flavor) is a favorite of mine. While ajwain itself has a slightly biting taste, when you add it to different dishes, it surely is a flavor enhancer.
As a kid, whenever we used to have tummy ache, mom would give us ajwain to eat. Or drop the ajwain in some hot water and give us that water to drink. Ajwain is really good for health.
Recipe : Baked Ajwaini Fish (Adapted from Aayis Recipe)
Baked Ajwaini Fish | Arusuvai Friendship Chain
- 5 to 6 fish medium size fillets (I used white pompfret)
- 2 tsps chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp pudina dried
- 2 tsps ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp amchoor powder
- 1 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
- pinch nutmeg powder
- to taste salt
- Mix all ingredients apart from fish well together.
- Apply on the cleaned fish so that it coats it well.
- Cover and keep in the fridge for about 2 hours so that the flavors seep in and mix well.
- Bake in a preheated oven at about 150C for about 10 mins or till done.
- Enjoy with some green chutney and salad on the side for a wholesome meal or cut in small pieces and serve as a starter.