Apple Chocolate Clafouti is a classic French dessert usually made from a layer of fruits at the bottom and batter on the top, and baked together to form a stunningly delicious combination!
As Ojas loves to eat baked stuff and usually doesn’t eat fruits too much, I try and incorporate a lot of fruits in my baking. Longago when I saw this recipe of apple chocolate clafouti at baking buddies (it was still a live blog then, Mandy darling come back you!) I knew this had to be made and the fact that this one uses so less maida makes it even more nicer 🙂
Clafouti is a dessert that originated in France and is usually composed of layers of fruit and thick batter. This dessert if often known to be described as a cross between pancakes and custard. It originated in the Limousin region of France and has been popular since the 19th century. Traditionally, Clafouti was made from black cherries, and it basically means to fill, since the fruit is arranged on the plate, on a buttered baking dish, and then the batter is poured in! From what I read, earlier the cooks used to leave in the cherry pits to add a hint of taste, but now a days, most Clafouti made out of cherries are without pits! It tastes super amazing with some ice cream on the side.
The leftover Clafouti can be stored in an airtight container for a few days, which means you can actually prepare this in advance and then serve it up with some ice cream by the side! Apparently, you can make clafouti with a lot of different fruits – plums and nectarines, peaches, pears, blueberries, orange, strawberries…..you name it and you can make this with any fruit! Super handy dessert, isn’t it?
Taking about baking and cakes, have you checked the recipe to my apple cinnamon cake yet?
Note : this was made long ago and I found the post in my drafts and thought of publishing it…
Apple Chocolate Clafouti
- 1 cup apple chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chopped
- 3 tbsps maida
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar + more for dusting
- 3 tbsps 3 tbsps Milk Fresh Cream Whole +
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Egg
- Grease the baking dish with butter and sprinkle a little sugar on top.
- Place the chopped apple and chocolate in the baking dish.
- Beat the egg till light and fluffy.
- Add the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla to the eggs and beat a little.
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Pour this mixture on top of apples and chocolate
- Bake in a pre heated over at 200 deg.C for 20 mins
- Serve warm with a dollop of chocolate or vanilla ice cream...