Whole Wheat Spiced Rhubarb Cake
Some days ago suddenly, out of the blue I found "Rhubarb" at the Godrej Nature's Basket, after rubbing my eyes twice to confirm its rhubarb, and then rubbing it once again when I asked the price to find its just about Rs 200/kg, I picked up how much ever rhubarb they had. It was close to about a kg and I had already started dreaming of what all I will make of it, unfortunately or fortunately I had promised another friend half of it and all I was left was some 400gms. I had so many things in mind, a pie, a sauce, a tart but all required a little more of rhubarb and then I thought let me do a good old spiced cake with it. Comfort food with a punch of rhubarb and I am so glad I did because I could taste the rhubarb so well. It wasn't as sweet and juicy as I expected it to be but finding it right here in desh, I was happy with whatever I got :)
Adapted from BBC Good Food
- Heat oven to 180C
- Sift the flour and spices into a bowl. B
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and honey and fluffy
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in 200ml boiling water, gradually add to the sugar and butter mixture.
- Add in the flour slowly, then add the eggs, mixing briefly and in the end add the buttermilk
- Fold in the 3/4 of the rhubarb
- Pour in a greased and lined tray (I used silicone) and spread the rest of the rhubarb on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes till a skewer comes out clean
- Dust with icing sugar
And if you don't have Rhubarb worry not, I think this cake will work with most firm fruits