Happy Dushhera: A time for traditional Chana Dal Rice
Wishing u all a very very happy dushhera! Dushhera has traditionally been a day where all thru my childhood I have got up late... just chilled out thru the day and then towards the evening got ready to go see the Ravan burning and eat yummy channa dal rice and jalebi made by my mom... somehow I am missing all this today.
Here at my inlaws' home this a time for Ayudh Pooja... something which is the same as the Vishkarma day we celebrate up north, so the pooja of all cars, bikes etc has happened since morning and I also made some of the Channa Dal rice that my mom makes... Why do all these things taste better when moms make them? :)
I also did a small pooja in the house on Durga-Astami... ideally this is done by making Channa, Halwa and Poori and then calling lots of girls home and making them feed this. The memories from my childhood where we would go hopping from one house to another the whole day and then in the evening be delighted with the money that we collected are still fresh... these days kids are missing all these small pleasures of life I tell u... we don't get the girls here anyways so I did the pooja and then send the food to my maid's house and some construction workers around.
I have always wanted to celebrate Ojas's all first festivals properly but somehow my mind has not been in it due to my cousin being so ill... my heart is just not in it.
Here's the recipe of the yummy channa dal rice I made.
- Heat oil in cooker.
- Add cumin seeds and wait till they turn brown.
- Add dry red chillies, green chillies and fry for 1 min.
- Add onions and roast till they turn golden brown.
- Add tomatoes fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add salt and biryani pulao masala and the water.
- Add dal, rice and the lemon juice.
- Close the cooker and let the pressure build... switch off on one whistle.
- Open after some time and enjoy :)
Happy Vijay Dashmi once again!