Garlic Chickpeas & Spinach Curry
Garlic Chickpeas & Spinach Curry... slightly inspired by the lightness of middle-eastern flavours, this curry is perfect to eat with roti, rice, breads or just as it is from the bowl. I like to add a fried egg on top of it and have it for breakfast. It is a protein, iron and vitamin C-rich dish, and perfect for vegans as well.
- Wash the chickpeas twice and soak for 8 hours or overnight. Next morning, drain the soaking water and boil with 4 cups of water, turmeric and salt in a cooker. Let it come to full pressure and whistle; after the first whistle reduce the flame and cook on low flame for 15 minutes. Let the pressure escape naturally.
- Wash the baby spinach leaves throughly in running water and remove the stalk. If you using normal spinach instead of baby, tear each leaf by hand, roughly in two or three parts.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai, add the chopped garlic and sautee for 2 minutes. Add the sliced onions and fry till translucent.
- Add tomatoes and fry till cooked but not fully mushy. Add the dry spices apart from garam masala and spinach, fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the boiled chickpeas and bring to boil, simmer for 2 mins. Add spinach and garam masala and switch off the heat. Cover and let it sit for 10 mins.
- Serve warm with bread, roti or rice.