Blueberry Chocolate Cake
Last month when I was thinking of what cake to make for Ojas's birthday I was totally confused, he had made it very clear that he wants a car cake and wants a car cake for both days the school cake cutting and the party at home. Now I wanted the cakes to be different both in flavors and looks and also be cars and yummy at the same time. For the school I decided I will make a double chocolate cake always a hit isnt it?
Anyways my son is a die hard chocolate fan... And for the party cake I had a brain wave when Noodlehead told me about this shop where we get Purple Color Blueberry Flavored Chocolate...
the chocolate started exotic enough to be a must buy and while I was buying it I had no idea what to do with it, its only later I thought of making a cake with it... and as it was blueberry flavored it made complete sense to club them with Blueberries as filling... so in my mind was born the blueberry chocolate cake but the only problem was now about the car shape, so I decided that I will do a two tier cake and place a edible sugar crafted car on top of it... so the cake was born and here is it
For the sponge cake
For the filling
For the topping - Blueberry Chocolate Ganache
For soaking the cake
- Making the sponge
- Mix and sift all dry ingredients and keep aside
- Beat eggs, sugar and cake gel together till light and fluffy and add essence to it and beat till just mixed
- Add the dry ingredients at this point slowly... I add my maida in three batches... beating a little till its mixed before adding the next batch
- After you have finished adding all flour, add the water and mix for about 1 minute
- Add the oil and beat till just about mixed.
- Pour the mixture in a greased and dusted baking tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 20 minutes or till the skewer comes out clean
- I got about 3 sponge from the above mixture, two which u see above and another small round one which I kept as a backup and which was also over at the end of the party ;-)
- For the filling
- Whisk the whipping cream till soft peaks are formed
- For the topping
- Chop both the chocolates into small pieces
- On a double boiler or in medium power in microwave, heat chocolate and cream together till the chocolate is just about melted
- Give it a little whisk and add the butter and whisk till melted. The butter will give it a lovely sheen
- For assembling the cake
- Cut the cake in three layers horizontally, even out the top layer discard what u have cut or keep it for using in cake crumbs etc
- Soak each layer with the sugar syrup.
- Now put some whipped cream on the bottom most layer, top up with some blueberry
- Repeat that for every layer. Keep in fridge for 30 minutes so that it holds together.
- Do the same for the other smaller cake
- After 30 minutes, take out the bigger cake out, trim the sides so that it becomes a little smooth and straight
- Pour the chocolate ganache over it and spread a little.
- Take the smaller cake and keep on top of the first cake.
- And now spread the chocolate ganache on top of the whole cake and spread it with help of a spatula.
- Decorate with gems or chocolate marbles and than in the end top it with the edible sugar car (more on sugar craft coming up in a post soon)
The cake was so soft and moist and yummy...
I think the blueberry and the chocolate combination worked really well.... the tanginess of blueberries was perfectly balanced by the sweetness of the whipped cream and the yummy blueberry chocolate, care for a slice?