A delicious watermelon & prawn salad which celebrates summer! Delicious to eat and super healthy too!
So the title of this post originally was “Summer musings and recipe for Watermelon & Prawn Salad”, I looked at the draft in my dashboard and chuckled since the summer is long gone and the monsoon is almost ending too. The post has sat in my drafts for so long. If I look closely, I might have drafts even older than those sitting on my dashboard. So starting today, I am going to clear them. Most of them are brilliant recipes just waiting to be penned down. So here, lets start with Watermelon & Prawn salad.
It is no secret on the blog that I heart salads. I love trying out new combinations and new dressings. Whether it is a summery salad or a chickpeas one which can be eaten any time of the year, I just love making them. Given a choice, I can have salad once a day as a meal. To be honest, that is what I end up having most times. Especially, in the afternoons when I am working and busy to make anything elaborate for myself. Sometimes, I just make salad in the morning and then keep it in the fridge, and have a cold one in the afternoon for lunch. It is very refreshing, light on the tummy and definitely, a healthy option.
Most salads are complete meals in themselves and if you think of the ingredients carefully, you can actually create one with the perfect balance of carbohydrates and proteins. I think the key to a perfect salad is the freshness of the ingredients and the dressing. If you get the dressing right, no matter what, you will end up creating a stunning meal in a bowl. Like this watermelon & prawn salad. Simple to make and super amazing!
Recipe : Watermelon & Prawn Salad.
Watermelon & Prawn Salad
- handful peanuts raw without skin
- 12 to 16 prawns large (peeled and deveined)
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 watermelon medium (skin,seeds removed and cut into chunks)
- 1 red chili large (seeds removed and and finely sliced)
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 bunch lettuce leaves
For the dressing
- 1 inch ginger peeled
- 2 garlic small
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- one lemon Juice
- half orange Juice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Cook the prawns in a pan with the fish sauce, salt and red chilli. Set aside to cool.
- While the prawns are cooling, make the dressing. Start with pounding the ginger and garlic together.
- Squeeze the juice out of ginger and garlic and add to rest of the ingredients ie. lemon juice, orange juice, sesame oil and salt. Shake well to emulsify and keep aside.
- Once the prawns are cooled, mix all the ingredients together. Pour the dressing and mix gently
- Set aside for 10 minutes for the flavours to mix and enjoy this for lunch or dinner