Summer Cocktails spell fruit for me. The fresh berries, mango, melons and the light flavours that go along with them. Summer cocktails have to be fresh and light for me. And this Mulberry and Basil Margarita ticks every point in the summer cocktail check list and it helps that it looks oh so pretty. And yes you can skip the alcohol and make a virgin version !
I detest summer (but wait I have said this before) but I LOVE summer fruits (wait I have said that before too). But somethings must really be said again and again and this is one of them. And as a part of my summer fruit love is the summer cocktails I make ! Fresh, light, refreshing, delightful and oh so potent !
I think fruits, specially the tart ones are brilliant additions to cocktails and drinks whether it is in simple mojitos or lemonades or to more complex like drinks this one. Summer adds a dimension and flavour depth to the cocktail that is delightful. When I am adding fruit, I also don’t filter the drink as I love the texture of the fruit in the drink, whether it is the crisp apple or the soft berry.
And when I got a bunch of Mulberries last week or so, one of the things I made was this cocktail. I made it on a weekday afternoon and was happily buzzing while working. But don’t judge me, I was only creating recipes for you guys after all! It was so good, a friend, myself and the man finished a WHOLE jug !
I decided to add a rim to the drink but somehow I wasn’t too sure if the salt rim would work with it and then upon googling a bit I figured this sugar and salt rim made in a very similar drink and I had eureka kind of moment ! A salt and sugar rim would be perfect for this drink. I also added a little bit of the dry flowers and a very little paprika powder to the rim and the slight spice was delightful with the drink.
The man liked it so much that he asked me to make it again after a few days but unfortunately the mulberries were over and I made it with a mix of frozen blackberries and rasberries and it was still so good. I think it will work brilliantly well with strawberry as well !
Summer Cocktails - Mulberry Basil Margarita
- 1/2 cup fresh mulberries (frozen mulberries or blackberries work as well)
- 3-4 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cointreau
- 1/3 cup tequilla (you can use vodka as well)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 200 ml club soda
For the rim and garnish
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsbp sugar
- 1 tsp dried edible flowers corn, marigold, rose
- 1/4 tsp Paprika powder
- Basil leaves and lemon wedge for garnish
- Lots of ice
- Rub the rim of glasses with the lime wedge evenly. Dip the glasses in the salt-sugar-flower-paprika mix.
- Put all the ingredients of the cocktail apart from club soda in the blender and mix till lightly mushy. You can even muddle mulberry, sugar and basil using a muddler and add the alcohol later.
- Pour in glasses with lots of ice cubes and top with club soda.
- Garnish with basil leave and lemon wedge and serve chilled ! Cheers