Next time you make the glass of orange juice in the morning, save those peels. Because this Orange Peel Chutney or Thokku is super healthy, delicious and needs to be made ASAP!
Orange peel, just like its citrus friend the fruit, is super healthy. The peel has so many health benefits that it literally doesn’t make sense to throw it out. Besides these are times to be smart and think like you grandma. Make this Orange peel Chutney or Thokku and maybe she will be impressed too.
Orange peel is also said to help in reducing blood pressure, it improves respiratory issues, prevents digestives related problems and so much more. So next time you make the glass of orange juice in the morning, save those peels. This thokku can be eaten with dosas, idlis, parathas etc and it is a super easy and quick recipe that you can rustle up in no time
COVID Isolation Thoughts
I haven’t written or logged my thoughts in the past four days. Honestly, I don’t even know where those days went. Morning, afternoons and nights are all a blur now. And I am finding it really hard to do it all. It sounds especially funny because I am not really doing it all.
I have a full family pitching in to do their bit but I still feel exhausted by everything at the end of the day. I am hardly reading, watching very less Netflix. (I did binge watch Money Heist while doing chores in the weekend). And I don’t seem to be giving my 100% at work too. It is like my brain is all scattered. If we are in this long term (which I think we are), I need to find a way to organise my thoughts and day better.
It’s even funnier because until last year I was indeed a 70% work from home person. Is one year all it takes to wash out a habit so completely? Or is it really housework. I think I will admit here that it is. I am that privileged person who hasn’t touched housework for the last 15 yrs apart from cooking and I am finding it very very hard to adjust.
When people say that their houses are cleaner than ever, their utensils shiner than ever I wonder what the hell is wrong with me. Because my house certainly is not cleaner than before! Sigh, I guess I will become better with time. Till then, there is always this place to rant. Tell me how are you dealing with all of this?
Orange Peel Chutney:
- 2 no Oranges
- 2 no tomatoes
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Cut the orange part of the peel in such a way that you don't remove the white part. White part might make it bitter.
- Heat a tsp of oil and fry the sliced orange peel in it, till it crisps up. Then remove, and roughly chop it.
- Temper the oil with curry leaves, mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds. Add the chopped tomatoes and let it cook.
- Once the tomatoes are softened, add the spice powders, fried orange peel and continue cooking
- Add water as required and jaggery powder. Once it comes to a thokku consistency, turn off heat and stop the cooking.
- Serve with dosa, idli, paratha, curd rice, etc.